Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Swift Gro Gardening Station Bug?  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Store General Discussion (EN)
Karritz

I have a bug that I think is related to the Swift Gro Gardening Station and seeds.

I have been annoyed when using the sggs to inspect seeds. Seeds that have been inspected are becoming unplantable and unable to be removed from the sim's inventory. Thus effectively preventing the sim from planting seeds of that type.

The problem:

When the sim collects seeds of each type they get a pile of them in their inventory showing the number of seeds of each type they have.

This is fine until they inspect their seeds in the SGGS.

(I am using special seeds as my example here but it applies to each of the other seed groups. The pile I have this problem with at the moment includes watermelon.)

When they inspect their seeds the pile of special seeds is converted to a single pile of seeds that now contains seeds for different varieties of harvestables that are special seeds. This remains as a single pile of seeds in the inventory.

The sim can choose one of two options - Plant or Plant Many. But they can only plant from the top of the pile.

Often the player has to click Plant twice for the seed to be plantable. The first click onto Plant often fails. The sim doesn't get the message to plant the seed.

If the player clicks the Plant Many option, and the next seed in the pile happens to be for the same harvestable, then if the sim receives the message from that click, the sim is able to plant all of that harvestable in the pile until it gets to the next different harvestable in the pile.

For example if the pile contains 4 special seeds in this order:
money tree seed,
money tree seed,
death flower seed,
money tree seed.
and the user successfully chooses Plant Many when clicking onto the top money tree seed, the sim will plant two money tree seeds and then stop planting. The user then has to click plant death flower seed and then click plant money tree seed to plant all of these seeds.

If the pile is in this order

money tree seed
death flower seed
money tree seed
money tree seed

and the player clicks plant many onto the top money tree seed the instruction usually fails and the sim usually continues to wait for the next instruction or rushes off somewhere to do something else. Occasionally that instruction doesn't fail and the sim plants one money tree seed and stops to wait for the next instruction - or runs off to do something else.

So if the next seed in the pile is for a different type of harvestable, then the click on the top seed in the pile to plant many will usually fail.

After failure of the click to plant many has failed that option is still there for the player to choose the next time they click on the same pile of seeds.

Sometimes a second click on plant many also fails and sometimes the sim is able to plant that one seed. Then it is necessary to click again onto the pile of seeds to plant the next one.

If the option to plant a single seed is chosen the sim may be able to plant that seed or not depending on if the user has to click again and repeat the command. This means that if the player hasn't checked the order in which the seeds are stored in the sims inventory they can potentially end up having to click each indiviual seed in the inventory many times to plant them all.

The seeds must be planted in the order in which they are stored in the inventory. Trying to click on seeds lower down in the order fails, but the seeds lower down in the order can be dragged out and placed on the ground or floor. Once placed on the ground or floor the seed will usually vanish.

This means if the sim is planing in a greenhouse and there are trees and other harvestables in the pile, potentially the sim has to run in and out of the greenhouse to plant all of the seeds in the pile. This is really annoying but probably not a bug though it would be nice if it could be fixed so this doesn't happen.

Now to the bit that is a bug that is preventing my gardening sim from planting any more seeds.

I've had my sim planting lots of seeds this morning and now I have a pile of seeds in my sim's inventory that can't be planted.

This is what happens:

The first click on the top seed in the pile failed.

The top seed is now unclickable.

The top seed can't be dragged out of the sim's inventory.

I managed to plant one other seed from lower down in the pile.

I dragged some seeds from lower in the pile and placed them on the ground. They all vanished.

The next time I clicked on a seed lower down in the pile the plant options were available but failed. That seed is also unclickable now and it can't be dragged from the sim's inventory.

It now appears that this sim can no longer plant seeds of this type. I have tried reset sim. I haven't yet closed the game and reopened (effecitively rebooting the computer).

I plan to try Save As to hopefully not lose what I've done since my last save. I don't know if the bug may have already been there already before my last save and just be manifesting itself now though.

It appears I can no longer use the SGGS to inspect seeds. This makes planting in a greenhouse much more difficult because if the seeds are unknown it is not possible to know if it is a tree or a seed that can be planted inside the greenhouse.

Please fix this series of issues with planting. All were introduced with the greenhouse and its associated objects. I suspect they will apply only to people with the greenhouse and we have already had a lot of issues with this venue.

krparanormal

Location:The worst part was his reaction. He just stood there; as if he expected this to happen. He knows me.

Interesting. Just... Don't inspect them? Sorry, I don't garden in sims, ergo I have no idea if that made any sense...

Karritz

krparanormal wrote:Interesting. Just... Don't inspect them? Sorry, I don't garden in sims, ergo I have no idea if that made any sense...

It makes sense and that is what I'm going to have to do - but if you can't tell if a seed is a tree or not then you won't know why you are having difficulty planting it. Trees can't be planted inside and they can't be planted in pots. Sometimes a seed that is able to be planted in a pot wont' plant the first time you try as you have to click onto the pot at the correct angle. It is all a pain in the neck basically.

litabelaqua

Thats really interesting and I have found the same thing in my game. I guess it is a bug although I hadnt given it much thought. Once I realised I could not plant from inventory without losing the seeds I just place the seeds directly on the ground where they are to be planted and plant from there. That works every time for me.

But you are quite right, this shouldnt happen in the first place, we should be able to plant from inventory.

And whoever suggested not identifying seeds clearly does not do much gardening lol, this is a major help when managing your plants.

You seem to be having issues getting seeds out of your inventory, i havnt had that issue at all. Although come to think of it, I do seem to remember seeds dissapearing when placed on the ground

I dont get this issue now, so hopefully that will reassure you. Try again, collect a couple of seeds, identify them then place them on the ground and get your sims to pick them up. You should be able to plant from inventory then.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/09/13 02:27 AM

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Karritz

Thank you litabelaqua. It is nice to have confirmation that others are experiencing similar problems.

I did as I said I would in my previous post and saved as. Then I closed out of the Sims and went and did other things. Several hours later I opened the game that I had created by saving as. I looked at my sim with the problem and found the watermelon seed she was having problems with no longer existed in her inventory. All I can suggest is that she must have already planted it, but its image was not cleared from her inventory. Now that the watermelon seed had gone she was able to plant the other seeds in her inventory.

I am having variations of this problem with other sims.

I had a sim who was planting inside his greenhouse. He had a Money tree seed and a death flower seed in his inventory. I had to make him go outside to plant his moneytree seed and then return to where he was in the greenhouse to plant his deathflower seed. I didn't want to risk putting the death flower seed on the ground as at least 4 out of every 5 seeds that I take out of an inventory and place on the ground vanish - never to be seen again.

So I clicked onto the death flower seed knowing I shouldn't do that as the game wouldn't let me plant it yet. I was surprised to get the pie menu offering me the option to plant it. I clicked plant and it vanished from the inventory.

I wasn't happy.

I sent the sim outside to plant the money tree seed. I noticed that there were now two seeds in his inventory but only the money tree seed was visible when I opened his inventory up to look at it.

He planted the money tree seed. The death flower seed reappeared so I sent him back into the greenhouse and he planted it.

All of this tells me there is something wrong with the inventories now. I am not sure if it only applies to seeds. But it definitely applies to seeds that the Sim has identified using the Swift Gro Gardening Station.

I won't be able to look at my game again for a few days. So this is the current situation with it.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/09/13 10:58 AM

Mariesalias

I only recently noticed an issue with the seeds (last night, actually). I have only sporadically been using the option to inspect seeds though and usually I cosign them afterwards. Last night I was playing a test family while testing a lot and trying to get a garden planted. So I went out and gathered seeds and inspected them.

In the special seed pile, there was a money tree seed second down with a plasma seed on top. I wanted both so I clicked the plasma seed and told her to plant it and then opened up the stack and clicked the money seed and told her to plant that. As soon as I did (literally) I knew there was an issue because my game froze for a moment and in that moment I suddenly remembered reading that there is and EA glitch right now that prevents sims that have skill levels in collecting, from planting money trees. The money tree seed thing cleared my planting and I had to re-click the plasma seed to plant it. Which she did. I clicked the money seed again by accident (it was almost 1am) and this time the freeze was a little longer and then I tried to drag the seed to sell it but it just disappeared.

The sim I was using did have a couple skill levels in collecting so I just assumed it had to do with that and the money seed bug I'd read about. The funny thing is that I had found a random special seed earlier and planted it and I noticed shortly after that it had reached a point where it was showing me an icon for the type of plant it would be, and it was a tree. So I was able to plant a money tree seed when it was unknown to me, but not once it was known.

Your issue doesn't sound like the same issue though.
faytheful

Location:In Roaring Heights right now, but soon to go into the future ! Then off to University ! Exciting.

Gardening has been messed up since the EP supernatural came out.
There are many problems with it, including harvesting glitches, plant stage glitches, & also shortly after gardening problems were noted there were problems with players receiving random omni plant seeds in their inventory they couldn't get rid of.
None of it has ever been fixed & I'm thinking your current problems are related to the original gardening glitches.
One of my Sims is a gardener & I have the SGGS, I will check it out & see if he has a problem identifying seeds.
Up to now he's not had any major problems gardening.
I have another sim in another town who does have problems harvesting, so I'm inclined to believe that the glitches maybe town related.
I know this doesn't help you with your current problem, & I'm sorry for that but I think its good to have as much information as possible so you can determine what is causing the problem. It may not be the SGGS that is causing the problem, it maybe the game itself.
For instance before we got the SGGS, I've noticed seeds disappearing from my Sims inventory & the ground. Had a problem with that not too long ago where I made one of my Sims go around town collecting seeds, took them out of his inventory, placed them on the ground & they disappeared.
Update:
Checked it out & my Sim Tip had 4 seeds in his inventory, 2 rare & 2 special.
I took the 2 special seeds out of his inventory, placed them on the floor & had him identify the 2 rare seeds. He didn't have a problem identifying them.
I then clicked on the seeds while they were in his inventory to see if the plant & plant many options were available. They were.
I then put the 2 special seeds back into his inventory & had him identify them.
He had no problem identifying them while the 2 rare seeds were in his inventory & when I clicked on them the plant & plant many options were available.
Don't know what to tell you. Hopefully some other simmers with the SGGS will post their experiences so you can figure it out. Good Luck

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 01/10/13 11:10 AM

Karritz

faytheful thank you for taking the time to check this out.

My sims have no difficulty with identifying seeds. Sometimes they aren't able to do it, but that is part of the game.

The problem I have is that my inventory was getting corrupted in my game. I managed to fix the problem by closing the game and reopening it but that isn't a good way of having to try to play.

I was also complaining about different types of seeds being scattered throughout a single pile of seeds in the inventory. If there is a pile of unidentified seeds of any particular type (special, uncommon, rare) in the inventory, when they are identified by the Sim all seeds stay in that pile and if planting inside a greenhouse,the Sim has to run all over the place to plant trees outside and other items iniside. (Or else the player has to use cheats and I'd prefer not to do that.)

A work around I could have implemented was to place seeds on the ground - but when I do that they usually vanish.

After I fixed my original issue by closing and reopening the game, I had a seed vanish while it was in the Sim's inventory. Then it reappeared when I had planted the only other seed that was in the inventory.

Hence I believe there is a bug of some sort in the game as this sort of behavious is not consistent with a stable program.

I wondered if it is possible that the vanishing seeds may be old seeds that were about to vanish from the ground when the sim first picked them up.

I wondered if they may have been in the inventory too long. But that doesn't seem to be the case as I have picked seeds up off the ground and put them into the sims inventory then a few minutes later had the sim place them on the ground and the seed has vanished.

Since the new EP about Universities seems to have a focus around gardening it is possible they have been doing thigs to the gardening aspect of the current game to prepare it for University Life. I am hoping that all of the gardening issues will be fixed and stable once that EP is out.

Mariesalias

Those are some good points, Karritz. I hope you are right, and that UL will fix it all.
faytheful

Location:In Roaring Heights right now, but soon to go into the future ! Then off to University ! Exciting.

Karritz wrote:faytheful thank you for taking the time to check this out.

My sims have no difficulty with identifying seeds. Sometimes they aren't able to do it, but that is part of the game.

The problem I have is that my inventory was getting corrupted in my game. I managed to fix the problem by closing the game and reopening it but that isn't a good way of having to try to play.

I was also complaining about different types of seeds being scattered throughout a single pile of seeds in the inventory. If there is a pile of unidentified seeds of any particular type (special, uncommon, rare) in the inventory, when they are identified by the Sim all seeds stay in that pile and if planting inside a greenhouse,the Sim has to run all over the place to plant trees outside and other items iniside. (Or else the player has to use cheats and I'd prefer not to do that.)

A work around I could have implemented was to place seeds on the ground - but when I do that they usually vanish.

After I fixed my original issue by closing and reopening the game, I had a seed vanish while it was in the Sim's inventory. Then it reappeared when I had planted the only other seed that was in the inventory.

Hence I believe there is a bug of some sort in the game as this sort of behavious is not consistent with a stable program.

I wondered if it is possible that the vanishing seeds may be old seeds that were about to vanish from the ground when the sim first picked them up.

I wondered if they may have been in the inventory too long. But that doesn't seem to be the case as I have picked seeds up off the ground and put them into the sims inventory then a few minutes later had the sim place them on the ground and the seed has vanished.

Since the new EP about Universities seems to have a focus around gardening it is possible they have been doing thigs to the gardening aspect of the current game to prepare it for University Life. I am hoping that all of the gardening issues will be fixed and stable once that EP is out.

I've had problems with things in the inventory too - for instance the omni plant seeds that we couldn't delete, move or plant. I got through that with a mod.
And a few other times, whenever I tried to put things in my Sims inventory from the fridge, like when they went fishing, the items would just strangely disappear.
That just cleared up on its own.
What I've noticed about seeds disappearing is that even if my Sim is running somewhere & passes a seed, sometimes it just disappears before my eyes.
My theory on that (although It may be wrong) some other Sim in the world has taken it.
Not sure what can be done about corrupted inventories.
I've always had a niggling of a suspicion that some were working on the game files behind the scenes, especially since gardening in my games always seems to be a new experience each time they garden since we've made it known that gardening was broken.
For instance one day my Sim has issues with harvesting, the next the harvesting problem seems to have gone away & a few days later its back.
I just go with the flow & do whatever it takes to get the gardening done.
But sorry you are having so many problems & hope that it can be fixed somehow soon.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/14/13 10:20 PM

Karritz

I agree with you faytheful. Those seeds definitely disappear before my eyes too. I find if I see a seed on the ground and click on it my sim will be able to pick it up, but if I try to click on it and it won't click then the seed is about to vanish. I have always thought it was because the seeds (and other things that spawn) don't stay there for the entire game. I thought they would vanish if you sim doesn't collect them after a set time. But I am seeing lots of seeds vanish at the moment. A lot more than previously.

I also often feel that someone is making tiny changes to the game that don't come out in official patches. But then I tell myself that I'm imagining things.

I did also have the problem of the boxed omni plant seeds coming in the mail. And bills would arrive if the household had the no bills ever reward. The bills and boxed omni plant seeds would appear in a sims inventory and be impossible to remove. I don't have any mods of any kind in my game and I haven't experienced that issue for a while now. It seems to have just cleared up on its own. Or maybe someone behind the scenes found what was causing it and fixed it.

My current game is playing with me. I have a habit of saving regularly. I never do a Save and Close (or Save and Quit). I only ever do Save or SaveAs. Before I went to bed last night I Saved and left my computer on. When I checked my computer this morning it was still trying to save. I hit the escape key and the game closed down. The save didn't happen. The Sims 3 closed down completely.

Then this morning a bit later on I opened the game and tried to redo some of the changes I'd made to it before losing them and I saved it successfully. So I made a few more changes (I'm building and some Sims are completing challenges and things). Then I saved and after a bout 15 minutes I again hit the Escape key and the game closed without saving. I mean the whole thing closed down immediately - I had to reopen the Sims game from the Origin menu. I'm thinking of moving the household out of the house and back in - or mabe move them to a new world. Not sure yet, I'll have to experiment.

I have been experiencing some strange lag too. It only happens if I want to add or delete a wall.

Karritz

I have now worked out why I needed to use moveobjects on to place roof decor. That was really weird and I wasn't happy using moo. But I did for one piece and then my save didn't work.

The flat roof was going on automatically as it usually does and I didn't think any more about roofs. I had Auto Roof off. I looked under the flat roof for something that might be sticking up and preventing me from laying the roof decor but there was nothing. So I looked up and discovered my building was covered with the most bizarre collection of high pitched red rooves. They were over the top of existing roof decor and over the flat roof I had ready to lay the roof decor from the green house onto as per out instructions.

So I removed all of the sloped rooves I could find and then there were still more tiny ones in all sorts of strange places. I eventually got rid of enough of them to put on my roof decor.

My other problem of lagging when I tried to do anything with walls went away after this roof thing was fixed. I suspect the game was recaculating all of those extra unwanted sloped roof sections every time I made a change to a wall.

ceejay402

thanks karritz for the posting...I too have the problem and was thinking it was tied to the mailbox problem....though I never get omni seeds probably thanks to my nraas mods doing there job

I hav noticed strange grouping of seeds and getting them to plant glitchy ....I think I have tried with pretty good success to first ungroup them in my inventory and try to plant the ones that will prompt the action.

I do think many r lost but I currently am playing on a lot that has too many seed spawners to begin with

so what I think I will do is stop using the seed identifier and see if that reduces the glitch any further.

Pamhamlet

Hi Karritz, I love the gardening feature in this game and almost every single one of my families gardens, so I know how frustrating it can be when things go wrong. I will go in my game right now and run some tests to see if I am having the same problems you described.

I noticed you have said we can't grow trees inside the Greenhouse. I do! It works just fine. During planting time, I just remove one wall section until all the seeds are planted, then I close up the wall again. My Sims do get the unfinished room moodlet, but I can put up with that as long as I have plants growing year round.

My Sims' greenhouse showing trees inside (on the right through the roof panels):

...and as you can see, it is winter, and no dormancy:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/15/13 03:36 PM

faytheful

Karritz wrote:I have now worked out why I needed to use moveobjects on to place roof decor. That was really weird and I wasn't happy using moo. But I did for one piece and then my save didn't work.

The flat roof was going on automatically as it usually does and I didn't think any more about roofs. I had Auto Roof off. I looked under the flat roof for something that might be sticking up and preventing me from laying the roof decor but there was nothing. So I looked up and discovered my building was covered with the most bizarre collection of high pitched red rooves. They were over the top of existing roof decor and over the flat roof I had ready to lay the roof decor from the green house onto as per out instructions.

So I removed all of the sloped rooves I could find and then there were still more tiny ones in all sorts of strange places. I eventually got rid of enough of them to put on my roof decor.

My other problem of lagging when I tried to do anything with walls went away after this roof thing was fixed. I suspect the game was recaculating all of those extra unwanted sloped roof sections every time I made a change to a wall.

yes your problem with installing walls would happen if all those roofs were in place at the time you tried to install the wall.
weird though how all those roofs just appeared with auto roof off.
All the problems you are having are puzzling & right now I can't figure what could be causing them. Whenever I start having glitchy like weird problems like that though I usually try to clean up my game, by cleaning out the caches (http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Sims_3_Delete_Cac
he_Files
)
& if necessary go through the cc with custard (http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/tutorial-delphys-custard.h
tml
) since I download sims from the exchange occasionally.
Don't know if you have any cc or ever had, but if you don't have any now & had them at one time it might be that a bad file is still in your game.
Also, when building sometimes we have to keep in mind that premade homes were made with that building cheat constrainfloorelevation on/off activated.
Not sure if you were building from scratch or adding on to a premade home, but all those roofs showing up reminded me of things that happen with that building cheat on.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/16/13 10:11 PM

Post Reply Forum Index » Store General Discussion (EN)
Go to: