Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Winterizing the Stones Throw Greenhouse **Updated 12/07**  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Store General Discussion (EN)
Karritz

Yahtzami wrote:Just a thought I had last night while building a new home with a greenhouse on the lot...

SimGuruCopeland said that they are trying to find a way to counteract the "Unfinished Room" moodlet that we are getting. We are getting that moodlet because if you paint the planting area to look like dirt or even leave it as grass, the game thinks that you have a house with no floor. Makes sense to me. It occurred to me that the reason (maybe) this wasn't an issue in TS2 greenhouses is because then, you couldn't just plant on the ground. You had to lay down patches of dirt like you do floor tile. It got me wondering if a possible solution wouldn't be for the store team to release not only invisible floor tiles to place under the roof to keep out rain and snow, but also plantable "dirt" floor tiles to lay down on the ground level. If the game reads the invisible tiles as an actual roof, and the dirt tiles as floor tiling, wouldn't that solve the biggest issues? And while they are at it, I wonder if there would be a way to code the dirt tiles to ignore the regular rules of planting indoors (like they did for the planters) so it wouldn't be necessarry to use the Move Objects cheat to plant.

I have bare grass on which I place my pots. The plants are planted in the pots. I don't see the unfinished room moodlet. Never have once I painted the inside walls of the greenhouse.

MrHawk

Yup, well it's Saturday here and nothing posted but I'm assuming it's still summat' o'clock in EA land. I'll check back again after my shift.

Karritz

I'd like to add to my previous post but I can't see it.

So, I've been pondering this unfinished room moodlet in the greenhouse. I noticed a sim was in my greenhouse and thought I'd check again to see if she had the unfinished room moodlet. I saw one that looked a bit like it but it was slightly different - when i hovered over it I read 'Beautifully Decorated'. I now remember that I have seen that one many times with my sims in my greenhouses.

I have no idea why my greenhouses appear to be different from those of others - but I have never had mods of any kind in my game since I first got it in 2009. I have used cheats occasionally - mostly reset sim. I don't play with testingcheatsenabled turned on. I haven't been planting directly in the ground in my greenhouses. I just use the planter pots that came with Supernatural because they are the ones I can find easily.

EDIT: Ok I tried to get a screen shot that included her moodlets but am a bit technologically challenged when it comes to web things. I did make a short movie of a sim in a greenhouse. If you are interested you can see it here: http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=436752

She has a beautifully decorated moodlet. I've seen that moodlet on other sims in the various greenhouses I've made. I wonder if it is because I build BIG greenhouses?

Edit Again: I tried to add some additional info the my previous movie, thinking I could save over the top of the original - but it ended up being two different moveies. So if you want to see the outside and the roof and other things too - this goes for a bit longer:
http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=436755

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 12/08/12 01:25 AM

Mariesalias

Since I am not an EA employee, I have no more of an idea then anyone else as to what actually happened to end up with the Greenhouse being released as it was. I thought I had been clear that I was talking about what I saw as plausible possibilities. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

As for me saying that "store stuff is compatible only with the base game," I am pretty sure I did not say that. I purposely did not include other store items for sale because I was uncertain about them. And I try to avoid using definitive words like "only" because I am rarely 100% sure about anything.

(Goes to check) What I personally said was:
"...Store Worlds and Venues are made to be compliant with the Base Game, not the Expansions or Stuff Packs...."

I am pretty sure I have heard/seen this said multiple times in the live chats and on the forum. What I infer from this is that Venues and Worlds will be released in a state so that players with only the base game can use it. Anything other then that is an extra 'feature.' So technically, I can not really say that the Greenhouse was released "broken."

That said, as I have said before, I firmly believe that the Greenhouse should have been updated for Seasons, and that it was very short-sighted for it to have been released as it was.

Yahtzami

Karritz...I am going to guess that you don't get the unfinished room moodlet because you don't put floor tiles under the greenhouse roof that creates a ceiling over the entire greenhouse floor (that is a HUGE Greenhouse BTW! LOL). Without it being covered (since the Greenhouse Roof Pieces don't seem to count as covered) the game may not be recognizing it as an indoor space. I think the Undecorated Room moodlet can only be applied to areas the game considers an actual indoor room. My greenhouse has floor tiles under the roof pieces all the way across, not just the edges, and I am using the invisible rug tiles to hide them. Since I have 4 walls and a ceiling/roof, the game sees the ground as floor that hasn't been finished with floor tiles. This is also why I have to use the Move Objects cheat to plant directly in the ground in my greenhouse.

Of course, I could be wrong here but I know you said that you don't have any mods so I am assuming that means the invisible rug tiles as well.

Karritz

Yahtzami wrote:Karritz...I am going to guess that you don't get the unfinished room moodlet because you don't put floor tiles under the greenhouse roof that creates a ceiling over the entire greenhouse floor (that is a HUGE Greenhouse BTW! LOL). Without it being covered (since the Greenhouse Roof Pieces don't seem to count as covered) the game may not be recognizing it as an indoor space. I think the Undecorated Room moodlet can only be applied to areas the game considers an actual indoor room. My greenhouse has floor tiles under the roof pieces all the way across, not just the edges, and I am using the invisible rug tiles to hide them. Since I have 4 walls and a ceiling/roof, the game sees the ground as floor that hasn't been finished with floor tiles. This is also why I have to use the Move Objects cheat to plant directly in the ground in my greenhouse.

Of course, I could be wrong here but I know you said that you don't have any mods so I am assuming that means the invisible rug tiles as well.

No mods. That includes the invisible rugs. I was tempted but I don't get much weather inside and the plants don't seem to go dormant so I haven't bothered. I did go a bit overboard with the size of this one and ended running out of space. Now I have to fill it with pots and plants. That may take a while. Rain and snow and lightening have got through in previous greenhouses. But there isn't much of it. I haven't seen snow piling up like it does outside. So I thought I'd stick with this until we get a fix that keeps the weather out totally.

Edit: I tried to edit this about 6 hours ago but the site went down and I had to go out and I just got back. I needed to add that I am unable to plant into the ground in my greenhouses as if I try I get the message that I can't do that inside. So either the game thinks the greenhouse is inside, or it thinks it is both inside and outside at the same time. I think it probably just has a leaky roof.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/08/12 07:50 AM

rumbutter

i only get the unfinished room moodlet if i place floor tiles for the roof but if i place a wooden floor or tiles on the grass the moodlet goes away if i build my greenhouse with out roof tiles there is no unfinished room moodlet

:not accepting friends requests:

MeaganJo

Retracting my hurt feelers and negativity...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 12/08/12 04:06 PM

MeaganJo

Yep and this one to...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 12/08/12 04:07 PM

evilsocklady

Just throwing this out there... but is it possible, that perhaps, there's nothing new to update us on? Perhaps they are still testing the roof pieces or the redistribution process... and perhaps these are regular people, just like you and me, who have jobs to do and mouths to feed, and their task list from their bosses today don't include "tell a bunch of people, especially those awesome builders, that absolutely nothing has changed!"

Just a thought.

Come on guys... Software bug fixes do not always happen overnight. Software testing procedures in many companies definitely do not happen overnight. Releases don't happen everyday. In my job we only do one software build a week. So conceivably they could have to wait several days to do any sort of integration testing.

I would love an update. I'm holding off on doing much of anything with the green house right now (I'm playing a family in eternal summer in Sunlit Tides). But I'm telling you, first-hand, as a software engineer for a large company: a week is NOT a long time.

Just because they aren't taking time out of their other assigned work tasks to tell us what's happened (or not happened) in such a short time, might not be a big conspiracy against the users.

Waiting sucks... but you've lived a very long Sim-life without the greenhouse. Find another aspect of the game you like to play, sit tight, and the updates will come eventually
MeaganJo

My point is they could just tell us that they are still working out bugs instead of making us feel ignored. Yes I am irritated after this 1 week period of time without an update and yet that is all I and others ask for. I just want to know that they have not forgotten us with the excitement of the new releases.

I usually cheer lead and boost their moral but we at least deserve even if it is a tiny bit of information on what is going on. I have spent hundreds of dollars on this beautiful and wonderful game so when something goes wrong and they say they are going to fix it because they totally understand the issues they should give us in the very least weekly updates. I understand that they are not obligated to do so.

I realize that they do indeed work their tushies off and so do us builders trying to make other simmies happy. But now we run into a bit of an issue where we have people requesting builds with working green houses and that puts us in a bit of a predicament that we can't help and we want to make so very many people happy and we can't, we will in time...

My simmie is currently residing in beautiful Monte Vista happily exploring this beautiful new world!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 12/08/12 05:14 PM

Tiki5872

SimGuruCopeland wrote:While the testing for the new roof pieces was quite successful, the process for a quick re-install for venues ran into a few road bumps. However, we are still looking to have something out very soon.

I know “soon” isn't as specific as anyone wants to hear (myself included) but we’re continuing to work on this issue diligently and I’ll let you know as soon as I know something more specific.

++++++++++++++++

Thank you SimGuruCopeland for the update!! It is most appreciated!! I will keep my fingers crossed for sometime next week?!

MeaganJo

SimGuruCopeland wrote:While the testing for the new roof pieces was quite successful, the process for a quick re-install for venues ran into a few road bumps. However, we are still looking to have something out very soon.

I know “soon” isn't as specific as anyone wants to hear (myself included) but we’re continuing to work on this issue diligently and I’ll let you know as soon as I know something more specific.

Thank you so very much for the update SimGuruCopeland I know I appreciate it and so many others even after I lost my little temper there for a minute. We appreciate all that you and your team are doing but most of all we appreciate updates to know that you guys are still trying to fix the issues involved My apologies to you and everyone involved and thank you again!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/08/12 06:51 AM

rumbutter

thank you simgurucopeland i'd rather hear soon than a specific date and the date to pass by

:not accepting friends requests:

Karritz

Thank you for the update SimGuruCopeland.

An update is an update regardless of the contents of the update.

Soon is ok. Unspecific information is better than nothing at all, and is much better than misleading information.

Thank you for taking the time for this.

Post Reply Forum Index » Store General Discussion (EN)
Go to: