Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
How To: Houseboat Docks and Ports  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Island Paradise
Zeula

I've seen a lot of people asking about how to make houseboat docks, or just docks for mooring cleats. Honestly it's more complicated than it should be. This is my method and other methods may work for you but this is how I do it!

Edit Town mode: World Editor. Place your lot something like this! We'll be making this one on one of the hidden islands. They need ports anyway. This one is No Trouble Atoll. Place the new lot mostly in the water or you wont have room for the houseboat port bay.

You should have something like this.

Go ahead and change the lot to a community lot. Choose Port. It's all the way at the bottom of the community lot type list.

Time for build/buy mode! Drag a pylon dock from the water to the land, not from the land to the water! This ensures that your houseboat port bay is the appropriate height for your houseboat to dock up here! I like the Concrete Stilted Foundation, but again, that's just me. Make sure you don't go too far into the water. You need a lot of room for the docking bay.

Now you need to enable a few cheats to be able to access the houseboat port. First hit ctrl+shift+c and then enter testingcheatsenabled true. This will allow you to enter other cheats you need for this project. Next, Ctrl+shift+c again, and every time you need to enter a cheat. Enter buydebug on. This opens a new little panel in buy mode that looks like a question mark. Like so!

The port bay is in the last tab, the three dots. I like to filter the items to make them easier to find. Just filter to the IP expansion and you'll see it there! And there we go! It'll fit but we won't place it just yet. Also make sure you build your dock slightly to the left looking from the water to land so that the port will fit. See!

Now the sometimes tricky part. Getting the dock to connect smoothly to land. This was where I was having the most problems but I figured out a really simple way to get it done.
I pulled my dock up and across so I can pop in a mooring cleat to the other end and then brought my dock to land. As you can see this is the problem. I want it to look like it was built onto the natural slope of the beach, not hacked into it.

So instead drag your pylon foundation from the land this time. It looks better and you're not cutting into the pretty little beach.

If you're lucky (which I'm not) your docks will be the right height and line up seamlessly and you'll be able to add stairs from one level to the next without problems. But like I said, I'm not that lucky. So I devised this little fix to get the height on the upper dock suitable for stairs. You need to open your cheat box and enter placefriezes on. Go to your foundation panel and choose the basic foundation. This enables you to place a 'foundation' on top of the dock. We delete it later but you need the height guide. I placed it to line up with the dock I'm trying to connect.

You can turn this cheat off now by opening your cheat box and entering placefriezes off. You do have to turn it off for future steps.

Next, cheat box again! Enter constrainfloorelevation false. Grab a floor tile, any old tile, doesn't matter. Drag some floor towards the dock you need to connect to. When it starts to bend you're doing it right!

Keep dragging it! It'll start to look really weird but don't worry. Again, it's supposed to look like that at this point. Also note that it will look like a step down from the level you want at this point. It's supposed to. Drag it until the whole piece of dock is the same level again.

Cheat box again, enter constrainfloorelevation true.
Delete the Frieze we placed, and all the floating tiles.

But now it looks weird again right? Just grab the pylon tool again, and trace the upper dock to get rid of the poles sticking out!
Ta-Da!

Now your dock is the perfect height to connect stairs down to the water level dock! I placed a few tiles of wood flooring out so they lined up right and there you go! Connecting stairs!

Now you need stairs from the beach up to the dock. That's the easy part! Add in your houseboat dock. Maybe a mooring cleat. Make it look awesome!

A few fences and some foliage..

You now have a fully functional and usable port on your private island! Huzzah! Pull in your houseboat and enjoy!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/28/13 01:03 AM

nyan-nyan-nyan-nyan-nyan-nyan-nyan-nyan-nyan!
Zeula

I'll add the dock to the exchange for anyone who wants it!

RockoutDarci

THANK YOU!

I wanted a little guide like this for making docks! I was having a bit of trouble. I kept dragging my docks from the sand into the water!

Now, thanks to you...I know I've got to drag them from the water up to the shore!

Hehehehe! Thank you so much!

michellehilbrand

Pretty cool. Great job!
lydiad206

Bookmarking. Thank you for doing this

Zeula

I'm glad you like it!

I added my port from the tutorial to the exchange. It's all IP items except the fencing I used, which is from University.

Show me your ports! That sounded dirty...

RockoutDarci

I think I'll download and rec your dock as well! That's a cute little dock and can easily be remodeled to fit into any town.

Let me know when it's uploaded! I'd love to have it in my game for when I'm too lazy to build my own docks, lol!

RockoutDarci

Alright! Fav'd, Rec'd and downloaded!

Thanks again! This should save me bunches of time!

Zeula

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7430121

Here you go! Hope you enjoy. I made it to match my houseboat but yeah, feel free to change it however you want to suit your needs.

Zeula

Here's the port I made on Mermaid's Secret Island. It was my first attempt at making a port on my own. I love this one too.

beaglelover2008

This is great. I can't wait to get into this.
Zeula

Yeah, I love making ports now. I have ports with houseboats that match them and everything. So now they kinda have a theme to them rather than just being a dock, with a houseboat bay. Oh joy, isn't that exciting....

ladeeGee

I have Mermaid's Secret and I would love to have this port for my island. Can you please add it to the exchange...PLEASE

mw1234

Thank you so much Zeula! When I can play my game this weekend I'll be using this as a resource and downloading your dock off the exchange!

Follow me on Twitter: @thesims_mw1234

I accept all friend requests! I like to meet new people!
Zeula

I loaded up Mermaid's Secret Port for you ladeeGee.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7430278

Remember you have to place a lot onto the island to be able to put the port on it. It's 50x25. The first picture is where on the island I put it. The second is how far into the water/land I had to put it. I hope I didn't use any items you can't use in your game, I didn't plan on uploading it. I don't think I used anything outside IP except the chairs inside the canopy.

Post Reply Forum Index » Island Paradise
Go to: