Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Dear EA, Please Keep In Mind the Character We Play is a "Sim".  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » The Sims 4
Cinebar

A simulated, pixelated 'thing'. It's not human, it's not real, and it doesn't live on earth.

Because it is a "Sim" not a simulation of life..but the roots are in the title..'The Sims'...the title wasn't a Simulation of Life...etc.

Because it isn't an actual human being but a "Sim" it can get into more trouble, can have more risks of death and illness, and or can use more crude humor, more crude rudeness, and more violence..it's not a human being but a 'Sim'.

In TS2 the Sims' world had two moons...and sometimes you could see two suns...that doesn't sound like 'earth' to me.

Realism in so much that community lots are closed at certain times of day isn't necessary since it is a "Sim"...Sims' were supposed to be little beings that could go beyond what is 'real' and or 'normal' for humans...

Yes, many attributes of a human being..but they still aren't human..they are Sims...is it a replica of the human being...I don't think so...there fore it can get into hairy situations, have breakdowns, and or die by surprise etc. because it shouldn't offend anyone...it's a Sim.

If it is a replica of a human, then there are things you have to remove or add...and limitations are placed on the game and the player....(too much realisim whether that comes in real humans die, get sick and die, or are diablitated, or have sexual preferences...or whatever else incompasses being human.. ETA: Need clear this up..if human then these things should be added more..and things like creatures removed...and or Sims moving in because of SP when there is no room for them.

However, if it is a Sim then the field is wide open of how to play and or what to do, and what 'could' happen to a 'Sim'..a non human being..yes, they look like us, they talk like us (vocal cords) and they even move like us...but they are Sims...so if you are going to name it a Sim..then you must remember it is not real...and much more can happen to it since it shouldn't offend anyone because it isn't a human being...and if it is a human replica then you would have to make everything in the game more 'realistic' to the Ts...and rename it The Human Experience.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/12/13 11:34 AM

Anavastia

I agree sims should focus on being sims, not being more like humans. It doesn't have to do with realism or fantasy.

Sims is a life simulator, but it's not meant to be a human life. I think players connect their life to their sim so much they forget that that it's not a game based on humanity.

I like a little bit of things like chores, a little sickness, etc. Apart of the humor of sims is a lot of that stuff was made up things or had unique ways of being introduced to us. Remember vacuums in 2 where lol you had to make them they cleaned up the house riding around but if a storm hit they house they left dirt everywhere.

So i think we need to bring some of that humor in with sims again, but also some of that creativity and imagination so that they don't become identical to human life and a little bit dull. I feel sims should be over exaggerated in a lot of ways. We should have magic, and weird situations, things that are scary etc.

Maybe Cinebar as this game changes and we get older we become outdated. I don't know. Seems the generation today just want to use sims to show off buildings and outfits. I can't help but feel they're missing out on how funny sims could actually be.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/12/13 11:42 AM

Cinebar

Uh, I didn't have that object in TS2 maybe it was in one of the console games?..they were always getting something we didn't get for PC.

Agree with myself and you. LOL.

Yeah, closed stores is a big beef and too human like.

If they are a Sim, then yeah, pulling out a vacuum (Aspiraton reward) to steal the skills of another Sim seems logical and perfectly normal for them..

I could go as far as humptydupty..falling down and breaking into pieces and no one there to put them back together..but that might shock a few that my mind goes beyond what they think the game represents to them. (Humans, which wouldn't be able to do that).

More realism...if myths are true then humans would be scared to death of blood sucking creatures and or werewolves etc...so if they are going to keep it in the realm of humanism...then the Sim should be scared to death of a 'creature' and not want anything to do with it....but if it is a Sim then they may want to marry it...I think they have forgotten what is what and the lines between realism and fantasy because it is a "Sim" is quite dim...

ETA: I agree Ana, I think I am getting old and my idea of a fun game isn't just creating..(though that has been a big part of my experience with the Sims) it was to hurry up and not spend weeks on something or hours and hours...but get it done and start playing!

I appreciate those modders that did all that for us..so I didn't have to.. but yes, creating is a very big part of the series..and many things I made I never shared and still won't...but that doesn't mean that should be what the game is about..it should be the 'gameplay' first.

I am afraid in TS4 the gameplay will be lacking and the 'creator' tools will be the new eyecandy and little to do or play in the game.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/12/13 11:52 AM

Anavastia

I think we get that vacuum in free time. I don't know the word to call it but it doesn't look like one you hold in your hand it's like a remote vacuum that sucks up garbage off the floor.

You need make it on the tinkering work bench. All these years i still play sims 2 lol and i cant remember the names of the things. I actually loved that thing because i put it in the kitchen and it would suck up the bottles for the babies. Or garbage off the floor. Every time my house got struck by lightening it broke down and through garbage all over the place.

Cinebar

Might I add to my own thread..where lines need to be drawn in the argument is it human or a Sim.

Example: A Sim slaps another...they get into a fight...it's o.k. because they aren't human..

Realism..A person slaps someone..someone is going to call the police..and someone is going to be arrested.

So, when people demand more realism how far do they want it to be just like humans?

Because humans do evil things, too, and they also don't live perfect lives...but if we point this out to some..they don't want that....but just a pixelation of a human that is always happy and is dressed up and lives in a remodeled home over and over....

However, some of us do realise if it is a Sim and during that fight they may go ahead and roll off the top of the cliff and a mermaid at the bottom of the sea swooshes up and saves them from the fall..

A little extreme but that is my point. That is the difference of a Sim game and a Human Experience game....the fantasy of how they can act, how far they can take, and or how unrealistic it can be...AKA..a repo man comes with a huge object collecting gun...you can't have it both ways if you want shops to be closed before twelve noon, and or no one ever doing something unpolitcally correct.

Yes, there should be a balance but TS3 is terribly out of balance and much too realistic for my taste. I mean a Clown showing up because of a painting in your house seems more a Sim game..than TS3.
windweaver

I agree Cinebar.

EA/Maxis needs to stop trying to be the morality police. It's not up to them to put limits on the game to keep me from...I don't know, killing my sim if I want to.

Or making them abandon their sim child, if I want to add some real life drama into my story/game/movie.

I worked for 10 years in family court and believe me, that happens.

Just please, EA, stop trying to keep us from being "mean" it's not up to you to judge what players want.

BTW, I rarely play mean games, but I've seen others who play like that, and sometimes, you just want to add something dreadful to your storyline.

Formerly Cynconzola8
Living vicariously thru my sims; I'm rich, beautiful and I never age.
PHOEBESMOM601

ETA: I agree Ana, I think I am getting old and my idea of a fun game isn't just creating..(though that has been a big part of my experience with the Sims) it was to hurry up and not spend weeks on something or hours and hours...but get it done and start playing!

I guess I'm an old babe too. I also find myself spending a lot of time building, editing towns and coming up with creative community lots.....but maybe it's not being older....maybe it's just being a little crazy. After all one definition of crazy is repeating the same action over and over and expecting a different result....I think Einstein said that.

As to what I keep repeating....I keep buying new content and new EPs hoping the game might be a little different...the Sims might get a little smarter....the game might get to be more fun. Over and over I end up finding that content doesn't make the game.....and it doesn't.

Step outside of your comfort zone. Ask why. Don't accept,"because that's the way it's always been". Think outside the box.
Cinebar

Exactly, Windweaver,

I never realized until TS3 that morals were being tested of how I could or could't treat my Sims.

I am not a cruel or mean person at all IRL, I'm quite the push over, but I do like to make up good stories and have the choice to save the Sim or let them die and maybe put them in very uncomfortable situations that will cause them to die.

I also think because this is near impossible without a mod in TS3 it is too watered down, since I am an adult..but I think a 17year old teenager can deal with their Sim dieing from an make believe accident....

Weather Machine..rains down fireballs on their heads...funny. That's why TS3 can't hold a candle to TS1 or TS2..rocket launcher...rains down fire on their heads...funny...Sim works on dishwasher/no skills..funny dies, Grim reaper..beg for their life back...funny...

Sims walk up and poke other Sims and you don't know why..funny...an very unpolitically correct action...works very well in a screen shot for a story or just the story progression in your head...no screen shot necessary if you let the games play out how they used to do...sometimes it fell right into the story in your head and it surprised you...that is cool.

Because they aren't earthlings they can do a lot more to cause chaos and or accidents, and or mess up their little lives...the motto is long gone..

"See what happens when you make a complete mess of things"

And the new moto isn't true...'play with life' since they don't die, drown, get sick, fight autonoumsly, or have accidents that amount to much..very few risks...so how is that playing with life?

Renyc7

As to what I keep repeating....I keep buying new content and new EPs hoping the game might be a little different...the Sims might get a little smarter....the game might get to be more fun. Over and over I end up finding that content doesn't make the game.....and it doesn't.

I agree, I keep buying content and it doesn't make the game fun. Instead of stuff pack and store content they need to focus on gameplay and making the sim themselves more interesting characters because are boring to play. They have no personality and the content in the game is dull with too many repeat expansion packs.
AmaraRena

windweaver wrote:I agree Cinebar.

Just please, EA, stop trying to keep us from being "mean" it's not up to you to judge what players want.

THIS!!! ^^

It drives me completely freaking NUTS that vampires in TS3 have to ASK PERMISSION to feed from another Sim and can be rejected! Exactly WHY can't they either just attack and overpower them OR ACTUALLY mesmerize them??? But hey, witches can set people on fire and cast love spells on them that will promptly destroy their relationships! So not only is it completely ridiculous that Sims SUPPOSEDLY can't harm other Sims but there's absolutely ZERO internal logic into the kinds of things they can and cannot do.

If you friend request me please send me a note telling me why you are and a little bit about you. Thank you!
Rflong7

Hi

While content might not Make the game, I buy it to Expand the game. The base game has to be fun; both hard and easy, both interesting and repetitive, yet it can't come with everything or have everything.

Now, stories aren't everything, in my opinion... and building, creating in game is very important, too. The Sims did start out a building game, Sims were a way to test the builds. So, the Sims added to the game, expanded the game- and are now mostly the game but not All of the game either.

I think a lot of people, or at least me, build and create to try and make the game more fun to them (and to include all the expansions stuff in one world).
I don't want it to be all about the Sims. In TS2 I would make the whole town with SC4; built all the buildings, just like now. Mostly because the game wasn't as good as I hoped or wanted. I didn't really feel that Freetime and Apartment Life expanded my game much- a few things to do and apartments. The content, the expanding of the game was lacking to me (more annoying with social groups, like TS3 Uni).

Still, I do agree with you about them being Sims. It's not as much fun them having it so easy, nor will the replay value of the game keep me interested again without building/creating.

EA, please don't use the game play information from my game as to how I really want to play. I've been using cheats for years just to test my builds and worlds. I might need Sims to be able to run or stay awake for a couple of days but that's just for testing- not game play. Be careful of the game information you're gathering.
gamekitten

I agree 100 percent on all the posts so far. I will say I have become a better builder in Sims 3. Because honestly I grow bored fast with families and/or single sims. It's the same thing over and over. It takes a mod to take away household funds if you want your sim to be broke to follow a story. Because you can get rich quick. Sims 3 has it's moments don't get me wrong. But those moments are so far and few in appearing. I won't even get into the robots of Sims 3. It is impossible to have 1 in the family. The stupid sim will stop what they are doing so they can be like OMG a ROBOT!...>.> Even if that robot has lived in the house from day one.

And exactly who's bright idea was it to make Sims 3 sims...pure stupid? Is that suppose to be funny? The getting sick? What's the point? You can wait out the moodlet with no bad happening. Why even give it to children and teens? What's the point of that? I think fire is the deadliest thing in sims..>.> They are too stupid to get away from it. Click go outside and they will run back in to freak out about the fire. If I want my sim to die by fire it should be my choice..but it isn't because the sims in Sims 3 has not intelligence (sp) none..at..all. And what is up with that always needy worm baby? There is little you can do with them. It's dangerous just to let them sleep without a pop up stating you are getting a warning for....neglecting the worm baby. When NPCs just drop their babies any where.

I hate to do this..but... Sims 2 were a lot more intelligent. They learned things by what happened to them or you telling them for awhile to do something (like make bed, wash dishes and etc). I never thought of them as humans, they were a sim. I had some fantastic funny and cruel times in Sims 2. It had some chaos and indepth humor. But it was more my choice as a player how good it got or how bad.

Sims 3 has no ryme or reason. It's a mix of quests, barbie doll, and etc. Sim money is too easy to require, what they do give us for chaos is dumbed down or happens rarely.

You have to work harder in other games to achieve something. Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, The Guild 2, Don't Starve and etc. And bad things do randomly happen in those games even Animal Crossing!

<.< Sorry I will hush now. But these posts are absolutely right.

Allspice1232

windweaver wrote:I agree Cinebar.

EA/Maxis needs to stop trying to be the morality police. It's not up to them to put limits on the game to keep me from...I don't know, killing my sim if I want to.

Or making them abandon their sim child, if I want to add some real life drama into my story/game/movie.

I worked for 10 years in family court and believe me, that happens.

BTW, I rarely play mean games, but I've seen others who play like that, and sometimes, you just want to add something dreadful to your storyline.

Yes, so much yes. I'll always remember Thrill Kill no matter how hard you tried to bury it EA.

Umm, yeah sorry about that. More on topic, I wouldn't mind more bad things being possible if we could take steps to avoid them. I wouldn't like random terrible things happening that were completely out of my control. To be clear, when I say random terrible things, I mean things that can completely ruin a story I am telling, such as the death of a sim or two married sims deciding on divorcing when I don't want them to.

I wouldn't mind some illness, but I wouldn't want it to mirror RL too closely, and be chronic and debilitating. It hits too close to home for me.

And yes to the humor. They obviously made an effort to bring back some of it recently (like the mechanical bull and dance sphere thing in Showtime, the tricks fairies can play, toad sims, the LLAMA, and playing fetch with werewolves in Supernatural etc) but it isn't enough.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 07/12/13 07:00 PM

Want to earn extra money for Simpoints? Try SwagBucks!
YorkieGirl4

I just miss the humor that's lacking in The Sims 3. Death by flies, seeing things when your Sim went off the deep end and broke down, all the funny accidents that my little Sims could have. We used to have a certain amount of violence that was made funny by hilarious reactions. I think that's the key to making the game more adult but at the same time keeping its rating. A great example that I used in another thread was about vampires biting other Sims. They shouldn't have to politely ask their food if they can have a bite. We already have hypnotize (which does NOTHING), why not expand on that? A vampire Sim could hypnotize their victim and the victim would wobble and offer their arm while wearing a silly expression, and maybe after the vampire finishes they'd pass out for a bit and get a funny moodlet along the lines of 'What just happened?' Not graphic and horrible in a way that would raise the game rating, but not as nice as what we have now.

Oh, and the Tombstone of Life and Death! I want that back! It was a built-in cheat object that let the player kill off any Sim at will using any of the death types. Great object, used it a few times to experience a death I'd never run across while playing or to populate a graveyard in a new town. For storytellers, this would be an amazing comeback object. Heck, I don't write but I play a story in my head and sometimes a Sim just has to die to make the widowed husband or orphaned child I imagine them to be.

Sorry if I got off-topic and ranty, but topics like these always make me miss things from The Sims 2. It's not that I don't like The Sims 3, but it does lack some things that make it less than it could be.

Edit-------------------------------
I won't even get into the robots of Sims 3. It is impossible to have 1 in the family. The stupid sim will stop what they are doing so they can be like OMG a ROBOT!...>.> Even if that robot has lived in the house from day one.

Gamekitten try this. It still works fine in my game even though the creator hasn't updated it. The patches have never changed the file it fixes. Hopefully it helps you too!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/12/13 05:49 PM

~Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics.~
TheMomminator

I don't think they have a hard time distinguishing betweeen fantasy and reality unless I'm the only person who doesn't have a werewolf living next door.

There are plenty of ways to die in the Sims. No, hoardes of flies won't get you but the candy machine will or your bed or a meteor or the cold or the heat or a jelly bean or a rant or...should I continue?

You can be as mean as you want to other sims. No one pushes morality on you. Your sims are only as nice as you want them to be. You can insult, slap, and fight everyone you meet. You can throw nasty potions at them. If you're a witch, you can cast all sorts of ugly spells at them. You just can't commit murder. You're never going to be able to do it so get over it or get a mod.

The bottom line is that you actually have to play Sims 3 as Sims 3. When Sims 4 comes out, you will have to play it as the game it was intended to be in order to enjoy it.

Post Reply Forum Index » The Sims 4
Go to: