Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
We should be able to control sims' height!  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » The Sims 4
Author Message
LeslieM25


Joined: 10/11/10 05:01 PM
Messages: 120
Offline

I want to be able to have short and tall sims!
Profile
Rflong7


Joined: 06/01/09 01:51 AM
Messages: 24009
Location:In Shadow Mode C8

Hi

From my understanding, it's not so simple.

Profile
lisasc360


Joined: 01/16/11 03:58 PM
Messages: 3969
Location:In my own little world
Online

I do believe that they already said that they couldn't add the height sliders when they were broadcasting from Gamescon in Germany.

http://simsvip.com/2013/08/24/sims-live-broadcast-gamescom-8221
3/


If you go to 31:10 in the part 1 video, you will hear the question and the reason why they are not adding it in the game.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/10/13 04:50 PM


Bret Michaels concert 5/27/12
Profile
Cinebar


Joined: 09/17/09 12:58 PM
Messages: 4773
Offline

You know this is a 'new' game..I was expecting a lot more than what I have been seeing and hearing. If you are going to bother with an entirely 'new' game..then at least dazzle their socks off.

As terrific as the emotions controlling Sims sounds, I was expecting after 3 generatons of Simming..to be literally dazzled. I guess I just dream bigger, better, over the top, experiences when it comes to sequels..and when they don't turn out that way...why many hate sequels of movies, Part II of novels, and sometimes feel nothing can out do a previous Doctor Who, or even live up to a 'new, improved'...sale's pitch.


This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/10/13 04:50 PM

Profile
TanyaRubirose


Joined: 02/02/11 05:38 AM
Messages: 12590
Location:In the sasscave, shining the sassmobile.

LeslieM25 wrote:I want to be able to have short and tall sims!


Height in more complex games tends not to be simple.

A lot of people use mods for height sliders... and a lot of people flat-out lie about those mods not illustrating the problem adding a height after base-game causes. Those sliders illustrate the clipping and positioning issues perfectly. You can actually zoom in close and see, with those mods, the clipping problems.

That's why height has to be base game... there are animation adjustments that need to be made, and a lot of them, and even entirely new animations to be created.

Profile
sunman502


Joined: 04/16/10 02:23 PM
Messages: 4677
Offline

Adjusting the height of the sims is a complex thing, just like the emotions and being able to sculpt the individual parts of the sims body. They have been working on these things for a long while now.
It is confirmed that height sliders will not be in the game, at least for now anyways. However, they didn't say that it won't be added in through an EP later on. Which means that the door to adding height sliders is still open for now.
Profile
TanyaRubirose


Joined: 02/02/11 05:38 AM
Messages: 12590
Location:In the sasscave, shining the sassmobile.

sunman502 wrote:Adjusting the height of the sims is a complex thing, just like the emotions and being able to sculpt the individual parts of the sims body. They have been working on these things for a long while now.
It is confirmed that height sliders will not be in the game, at least for now anyways. However, they didn't say that it won't be added in through an EP later on. Which means that the door to adding height sliders is still open for now.


Actually, they said it won't be in The Sims 4 at all.

Plus, no, it can't be added in an EP. Precisely because of how complex it is.

Profile
Rflong7


Joined: 06/01/09 01:51 AM
Messages: 24009
Location:In Shadow Mode C8

sunman502 wrote:Adjusting the height of the sims is a complex thing, just like the emotions and being able to sculpt the individual parts of the sims body. They have been working on these things for a long while now.
It is confirmed that height sliders will not be in the game, at least for now anyways. However, they didn't say that it won't be added in through an EP later on. Which means that the door to adding height sliders is still open for now.


Actually, with it not being in the base game it means the Door is closed to it being there but they might have a window open for later placement.

I don't know why I found it funny and had to post... just did.
Profile
sunman502


Joined: 04/16/10 02:23 PM
Messages: 4677
Offline

Rflong7 wrote:
sunman502 wrote:Adjusting the height of the sims is a complex thing, just like the emotions and being able to sculpt the individual parts of the sims body. They have been working on these things for a long while now.
It is confirmed that height sliders will not be in the game, at least for now anyways. However, they didn't say that it won't be added in through an EP later on. Which means that the door to adding height sliders is still open for now.


Actually, with it not being in the base game it means the Door is closed to it being there but they might have a window open for later placement.

I don't know why I found it funny and had to post... just did.
That's basically what I said. But some of the other simmers think that I am wrong. So perhaps they'll listen to you, since you were at simcamp.
Profile
melissat86


Joined: 10/16/10 12:19 PM
Messages: 114
Offline

i don't see what is hard about the whole height difference thing. couldn't you just have the Sims recognize their height difference and interact accordingly. Bending down to kiss someone short or pick them up depending on your strength compared to their weight. Maybe if the difference is slight they could stand on tippy toes. It might be easier to do this in height increments instead of a standard slider but it doesn't seem like it should be so complicated.
Profile
Rflong7


Joined: 06/01/09 01:51 AM
Messages: 24009
Location:In Shadow Mode C8

sunman502 wrote: That's basically what I said. But some of the other simmers think that I am wrong. So perhaps they'll listen to you, since you were at simcamp.


WAIT! I didn't say they would add it later.

I was only rewording the expression you used.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/10/13 07:22 PM

Profile
TanyaRubirose


Joined: 02/02/11 05:38 AM
Messages: 12590
Location:In the sasscave, shining the sassmobile.

melissat86 wrote:i don't see what is hard about the whole height difference thing. couldn't you just have the Sims recognize their height difference and interact accordingly. Bending down to kiss someone short or pick them up depending on your strength compared to their weight. Maybe if the difference is slight they could stand on tippy toes. It might be easier to do this in height increments instead of a standard slider but it doesn't seem like it should be so complicated.


Because of the fact there's no animation technique that does what you're asking for, and Sims series actually uses a very old animation technique due to the advantages it has (the newer ones are not really usable with this kind of game, as they're all designed for games where you can only control a single character at a time).

So, to illustrate, this is how many versions you need of the same social interaction animation for just three height options, using only two sims:

1. Medium-Medium
2. Medium-Short
3. Medium-Tall
4. Short-Tall
5. Short-Short
6. Tall-Tall

Note that assumes that there's no difference between initiator and initiatee and, as such, is potentially an oversimplification. Also note you have to adjust the animations based on height, as height differences can distort animations.

Also note that it jumps to 9 versions of the same animation for 3 sims involved, and 15 for four sims involved. And you have to do that for every social animation in the game, and adding it in an EP means you have to do it for every social animation in the game PLUS all of the social animations added since; this is why it must be base game.

Oh, and if you're wondering about there being a difference between initiator and initiatee? This is what it would look like, for just two sims, on a social interaction:

1. Medium-Medium
2. Medium-Short
3. Medium-Tall
4. Short-Medium
5. Short-Tall
6. Short-Short
7. Tall-Medium
8. Tall-Short
9. Tall-Tall

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/10/13 07:29 PM


Profile
melissat86


Joined: 10/16/10 12:19 PM
Messages: 114
Offline

TanyaRubirose wrote:
melissat86 wrote:i don't see what is hard about the whole height difference thing. couldn't you just have the Sims recognize their height difference and interact accordingly. Bending down to kiss someone short or pick them up depending on your strength compared to their weight. Maybe if the difference is slight they could stand on tippy toes. It might be easier to do this in height increments instead of a standard slider but it doesn't seem like it should be so complicated.


Because of the fact there's no animation technique that does what you're asking for, and Sims series actually uses a very old animation technique due to the advantages it has (the newer ones are not really usable with this kind of game, as they're all designed for games where you can only control a single character at a time).

So, to illustrate, this is how many versions you need of the same social interaction animation for just three height options, using only two sims:

1. Medium-Medium
2. Medium-Short
3. Medium-Tall
4. Short-Tall
5. Short-Short
6. Tall-Tall

Note that assumes that there's no difference between initiator and initiatee and, as such, is potentially an oversimplification. Also note you have to adjust the animations based on height, as height differences can distort animations.

Also note that it jumps to 9 versions of the same animation for 3 sims involved, and 15 for four sims involved. And you have to do that for every social animation in the game, and adding it in an EP means you have to do it for every social animation in the game PLUS all of the social animations added since; this is why it must be base game.

Oh, and if you're wondering about there being a difference between initiator and initiatee? This is what it would look like, for just two sims, on a social interaction:

1. Medium-Medium
2. Medium-Short
3. Medium-Tall
4. Short-Medium
5. Short-Tall
6. Short-Short
7. Tall-Medium
8. Tall-Short
9. Tall-Tall


All i'm seeing is that it would be allot of code not impossible.
Profile
TanyaRubirose


Joined: 02/02/11 05:38 AM
Messages: 12590
Location:In the sasscave, shining the sassmobile.

melissat86 wrote:
TanyaRubirose wrote:
melissat86 wrote:i don't see what is hard about the whole height difference thing. couldn't you just have the Sims recognize their height difference and interact accordingly. Bending down to kiss someone short or pick them up depending on your strength compared to their weight. Maybe if the difference is slight they could stand on tippy toes. It might be easier to do this in height increments instead of a standard slider but it doesn't seem like it should be so complicated.


Because of the fact there's no animation technique that does what you're asking for, and Sims series actually uses a very old animation technique due to the advantages it has (the newer ones are not really usable with this kind of game, as they're all designed for games where you can only control a single character at a time).

So, to illustrate, this is how many versions you need of the same social interaction animation for just three height options, using only two sims:

1. Medium-Medium
2. Medium-Short
3. Medium-Tall
4. Short-Tall
5. Short-Short
6. Tall-Tall

Note that assumes that there's no difference between initiator and initiatee and, as such, is potentially an oversimplification. Also note you have to adjust the animations based on height, as height differences can distort animations.

Also note that it jumps to 9 versions of the same animation for 3 sims involved, and 15 for four sims involved. And you have to do that for every social animation in the game, and adding it in an EP means you have to do it for every social animation in the game PLUS all of the social animations added since; this is why it must be base game.

Oh, and if you're wondering about there being a difference between initiator and initiatee? This is what it would look like, for just two sims, on a social interaction:

1. Medium-Medium
2. Medium-Short
3. Medium-Tall
4. Short-Medium
5. Short-Tall
6. Short-Short
7. Tall-Medium
8. Tall-Short
9. Tall-Tall


All i'm seeing is that it would be allot of code not impossible.


Actually, no. The code for that would be easy. Coding for height isn't complex at all. Never has been, and in fact they used to use coding for height a lot in old side-scroller games. You see early height coding in the original Super Mario Brothers (note that was released in the 1980s).

That's a lot of animation work, which is what takes up most of the time. And each additional animation variation means less time for other animations.

Profile
melissat86


Joined: 10/16/10 12:19 PM
Messages: 114
Offline

TanyaRubirose wrote:
melissat86 wrote:
TanyaRubirose wrote:
melissat86 wrote:i don't see what is hard about the whole height difference thing. couldn't you just have the Sims recognize their height difference and interact accordingly. Bending down to kiss someone short or pick them up depending on your strength compared to their weight. Maybe if the difference is slight they could stand on tippy toes. It might be easier to do this in height increments instead of a standard slider but it doesn't seem like it should be so complicated.


Because of the fact there's no animation technique that does what you're asking for, and Sims series actually uses a very old animation technique due to the advantages it has (the newer ones are not really usable with this kind of game, as they're all designed for games where you can only control a single character at a time).

So, to illustrate, this is how many versions you need of the same social interaction animation for just three height options, using only two sims:

1. Medium-Medium
2. Medium-Short
3. Medium-Tall
4. Short-Tall
5. Short-Short
6. Tall-Tall

Note that assumes that there's no difference between initiator and initiatee and, as such, is potentially an oversimplification. Also note you have to adjust the animations based on height, as height differences can distort animations.

Also note that it jumps to 9 versions of the same animation for 3 sims involved, and 15 for four sims involved. And you have to do that for every social animation in the game, and adding it in an EP means you have to do it for every social animation in the game PLUS all of the social animations added since; this is why it must be base game.

Oh, and if you're wondering about there being a difference between initiator and initiatee? This is what it would look like, for just two sims, on a social interaction:

1. Medium-Medium
2. Medium-Short
3. Medium-Tall
4. Short-Medium
5. Short-Tall
6. Short-Short
7. Tall-Medium
8. Tall-Short
9. Tall-Tall


All i'm seeing is that it would be allot of code not impossible.


Actually, no. The code for that would be easy. Coding for height isn't complex at all. Never has been, and in fact they used to use coding for height a lot in old side-scroller games. You see early height coding in the original Super Mario Brothers (note that was released in the 1980s).

That's a lot of animation work, which is what takes up most of the time. And each additional animation variation means less time for other animations.


It still comes down to it being more work not that it is impossible. Something which i think they could have been doing over the last several years.
Profile
 
Post Reply Forum Index » The Sims 4
Go to: