Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
And you wonder why the simguru's don't post.......  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
MckenzieMember

Jarsie9 wrote:
MckenzieMember wrote:

Yes my mind is made up, however I still have every right to say what is on my mind, like you frequently do Jarsie. Furthermore unlike some people if I say I'm going to do something I do it. For example I said I wasn't going to buy the showtime EP and I haven't.

As for the Guru thing, I do not need to lighten up a bit as I am fully aware it's just a name and they aren't enlightened spiritual teachers, I was simply saying that I really do believe it is in their job description to interact with community members hence why they have to call themselves Gurus, and hence why they participate in events concerning the latest EPs. Furthermore I've viewed many of your posts Jarsie (I usually agree with them actually) and so would say you are in no position to tell me to lighten up.

And I'm not the only one who thinks that EA's employees aren't pulling their weight around, the fact that they they won the 2012 award for being the "Worst Company in The World" prooves my sentiment is shared by thousands of others worldwide.
And until I see an improvement in EA's games I shall continue to maintain my opinion of it's employees. Additionally I didn't only call the SimGuru's lazy I was refering to the company as a whole and gave valid reasons as to why I hold that opinion.

If you disagree with my analysis of the situation then that is up to you, but I still stand by what I said.

Well, hallelujiah! At last, a fellow Simmer who is brave enough to stand by their opinions. You don't know how refreshing it is to hear that. Yes, you are right, I did buy Showtime, and I realize that it undermines my credibility in *some* circles, but I'm a big girl, I can live with the consequences.

But as far as your assertion that it is in the job description of the SimGurus to come and post on these forums, I beg to differ. I don't think it is. I'm sure EA *encourages* them to do so *when they have time*, but you seem to be implying that they should be a constant presence on the forums on a daily basis, and, *in my opinion* that is an unrealistic expectations, as it's been my experience that on the rare occasions when a SimGuru does show up, the fans either don't appreciate it, with some exceptions, or they use that occasion to try to draw the SimGuru into a debate where their particular issues can be discussed at length.

About the only thing I *can* agree with is that EA does need to bring back the same kind of moderation that they had on The Sims 2 forum, and take the power to ban, warn and discipline away from Customer Service and put it back into the hands of the forum moderators where it belonged. However, this complaint of yours that the SimGurus ignore their fans is nothing new. Believe it or not, it was the same way over on the extremely well moderated The Sims 2 forums where fans complained loudly that they weren't getting enough information on upcoming expansion packs and so forth and so on.

Like I said, it's unrealistic for employees who are under the gun to produce expansion pack after expansion pack in X # of weeks to sit down and actually post on these forums. It takes 5 seconds to post a reply to a silly question on Twitter, while posting on these forums in a way that will satisfy the demands for fan partcipation without inadvertantly starting a firestorm takes considerably longer.

I get that a lot of fans are disgusted by the whole Facebook/Twitter thing and are feeling short-changed, but it is what it is.

If people are so concerned about EA not caring about them, then they might try writing a snail mail letter to Frank Gibeau, President of EA's Play Label. Anavastia wrote a long letter to EA a long time ago, sent it via snail mail and actually got a phone call from an EA rep. So, snail mail does work, especially if the letter is politely worded and non confrontational.

PS: That golden award is meaningless. That's just an opinion poll on customer service, and the majority of the people who put EA in first place were Mass Effect 3 players who were upset about a certain policy. To the best of my knowledge, no Sim player voted or even knew about it, because when that story was posted on our website and the link published, nobody on here admitted or bragged about doing so. So that essentially proves nothing, except that the Mass Effect3 players made themselves heard. Whether this will cause EA to make changes to Mass Effect 3 and the problems that upset the players remains to be seen.

Thank you, I agree that it is very refreshing to find simmers who aren't afraid to share their opinions even if they are in a minority. I also applaud those who stand by their opinions even i said opinion comes under fire or others disagree with it. I consider you to be one such person, hence why I usually agree with your posts. I belive you said in a post (I read yesterday) your attitude was "old school" well I believe my attitude to be cut from the same "old school" cloth.

I don't think that the SimGurus should be a constant presence in the forums as they have other things to do so yes it would be very unrealistic. If that's what you gathered from my posts then obviously I didn't put my opinion across clear enough. I just think they should have more of a presence in these forums. After all they can find time to converse with others on facebook and twitter I only think it's fair they do the same here. Maybe not as regularly as they do on the social media websites (if they prefer using twitter fair enough) but I still think they should be more active than they currently are, which doesn't necessarily mean posting in a thread every day but maybe once a week, or once a day, or every other day/week. Now I don't think all the Sim Gurus need to do this but if they perhaps took it in turns so at least once a week or every other day we would see one of them around here, it would improve their relations with fans over here. I believe Graham said he works alongside 15 others so my idea wouldn't really take too much time out of their busy schedules if they alternated "forum posting duties" between all 15 of them. Now if they care as much about the fans as they say they do, this isn't asking for very much especially in comparison to how active they are on twitter and facebook.

As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, if the SimGurus showed their face around here more often people probably wouldn't be as hostile with them, as they would be used to their presence. However yes people may be hostile to them for other reasons but one of those reasons wouldn't be due to furstration at their absence on these forums.

In all honesty Jarsie I don't remember Sims 2 simmers bashing the Gurus in TS2 forums, and if they did I don't think the TS2 gurus were bashed nearly as much as TS3 Gurus, and I think that is because TS2 gurus had more of a presence in TS2 forums. And yes they may have been stricter, but as TS2 forum users were more aware of their presence they in turn stuck to the forum rules more. I distinctly remember TS2 gurus being more present in those forums because I'm sure one of them was called SimGuruNina or she had the word Nina in her name because it's similar to my name Janinah. I also just remember seeing them frequently in posts; whether it was sharing their opinion or giving a warning and so when a Guru posted in a thread back on TS2 forums it wasn't so much of a shock. I nearly died of heart attack when I saw the posts (In the link you provided) made by SimGuruGraham and SimGuruMeatball and as much as I rack my brains out I am yet to think of another post I've been involved in where SimGuru(s) have posted their opinion on a topic that isn't related to their latest EP.

Wow Anavastia got a reply this is the first incident I've heard of where someone has been fortunate enough to get a decent response/ acknowledgement from the customer service side of EA.

I do however disagree with you about the award being meaningless, to EA yes it might be as their sales are still high. But to me it confirms the fact that EA, as a whole, aren't being veiwed very favourably by their fans right now. Even if they are Mass Effect 3 ones, it's reassuring to know that us simmers aren't the only ones who are frustrated with EA but others are as well. Will this award change EA's outlook? I doubt it, but as I said it's nice to know that at least some of EA's customers are making a stand so maybe EA will take note and at least make a slight improvement in the quality of their products/ and or listen to their fanbases more in future.

reecehammond

bumpppppppppp

Hey everyone
I Have been a simmer for about 7 year now (i'm 15 and i started when i was 8.) i <3 the sims so much, add or gift me i won't bite x
MGSFan612

NotSoLucky wrote:Who is truly in charge? I thought it was the guru's who make the game and come up with the ideas?

Everyone is saying the gurus can only do as their told, but I thought they were the ones doing what they want. Who is in charge then?

The gurus make the games but it is the executives/fat cats at EA that approve the ideas the developers/gurus come up with and then decide when they want it done by and they will expect it out then regardless of if the developers/gurus think it is ready or not(unless there are very serious problems with the game) because all most of the executives care about is money.

To7m

reecehammond wrote:bumpppppppppp

Why do you keep bumping the thread? You can get banned for that - it's against the rules.

Bumping a thread solely because you are bored is not a ligitimate reason.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/11/12 01:34 PM

Jarsie9

@MckenzieMember, I'm not wanting to take the time to quote selections from you well written post, but I need to clear up a misunderstanding you have as to how the Sims 2 BBS actually worked.

The people you are referring to as SimGurus who maintained a constant presence on those forums were actually not EA employees. They were called SimMasters, and if I remember correctly SimMaster Nina was one of the more popular ones. But all of the SimMasters were members of the fan community; you couldn't ask to be a SimMaster, you had to be *invited* by EA via e-mail. If you asked to be one, forget it, it would never happen. Plus you had to be an outstanding member of the community and be 18 or above. (Or maybe it was 21, I forget).

At any rate, it was the volunteer SimMasters who policed the forums and pretty much kept us in line, even going so far as to do shout outs to players who had crossed the line and posting the nature of their violation and what disciplinary action was being taken (in some cases a 3 day ban or longer).

Maxoids were/are EA employees and members of the team. *They* were the ones you rarely saw on the boards, and having one of *them* come onto your thread and make a small comment was considered an honor. So, yes, there was an active moderator presence on the Sims 2 website, but it wasn't EA employees doing the moderating. It was volunteers from the community especially selected by EA.

That's why I said there was some degree of frustration over on the TS2 site because, SimMasters notwithstanding, the fans got upset if a Maxoid didn't pop in and reassure them when there was a firestorm going on in the forums.

I Am No Longer Accepting Friend Requests. All Friend Requests Will Be Declined.
Rflong7

Mychuckyboy wrote:
calmorezoo wrote:
Mychuckyboy wrote:Wow, its amazing how he tried to make a heart felt post about what there trying to accomplish over there and people took a blind eye to it. I guess some people don't realize that there a company and while they do try to make there customers as comfortable as possible, there also trying to make money. I agree that we should be treating the gurus with respect, as sometimes it takes a lot of guts to get into the middle of things and be the voice of reason, as Graham showed.

I was shocked by the rudeness of fellow simmers in responce to guruSemedi post . But i think that many of them didnt even read the whole post. I myself am of the view that this was a personal message type post and not a formal ea one. so it makes the responce even more uncalled for. To think I was of the belief that the simming community was a kind and understanding one.

I hope that graham isnt to hurt by what was said and that he will still post on the forum from time to time as its nice to see a guru that has thier own veiws as apposed to always the EA official one.

This used to be such a nice community of people, everyone knew everyone and socialized. These are different times in the forums now where if you speak your mind you get attacked, and attacked ruthlessly. All I can say is you can't be afraid to speak your mind, even if it is apart of the minority. I wish we were all as close as we used to be, but, time to move on I suppose. I just hope someday we, including the gurus, can speak freely without being verbally abused by people, but we may never see that.

I'm kinda confused about this ever being a nice and close community. It's the same, just with new people.

bshag4lv

Location:Right here at my computer, where my cat sits and watches and wonders, is that all she does.

After a very long time reading, I agree with most of the ppl on here...and might I also add, nice to know that there can be a thread where ppl post their opinions and not get someone being rude and obnoxious.

I commented the other day about SimGuruGraham's message, and it did take mucho guts to write that, only to have half the ppl post snarky comments. Maybe it's in my personality makeup but I felt the need to apologize to him for that.

I see the disappointment in having the announcement of a sp or ep not being the one you wanted and having to wait until the next one to hope that's the one you've asked for, but some of these ppl really need to get a grip on their keyboards. One of the things I used to say to my son when he was young and wanted something sooo bad he just couldn't live without it, "If you don't get it, the sun will always come up in the morning...you will live through this."

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
DulceHoney

bshag4lv wrote:After a very long time reading, I agree with most of the ppl on here...and might I also add, nice to know that there can be a thread where ppl post their opinions and not get someone being rude and obnoxious.

I commented the other day about SimGuruGraham's message, and it did take mucho guts to write that, only to have half the ppl post snarky comments. Maybe it's in my personality makeup but I felt the need to apologize to him for that.

I see the disappointment in having the announcement of a sp or ep not being the one you wanted and having to wait until the next one to hope that's the one you've asked for, but some of these ppl really need to get a grip on their keyboards. One of the things I used to say to my son when he was young and wanted something sooo bad he just couldn't live without it, "If you don't get it, the sun will always come up in the morning...you will live through this."

Yes! I also agree with most people in this thread. As one poster already said, I never expected that the gurus had to read these forums often and interact anyway, so it didn't matter much if they did or not. However, I always felt like, if they did interact with the players a lot, it would be a pretty nice gesture. I suppose many people didn't/don't hold my view, because I see tons of posts where people down the Gurus, saying that the forums don't get the attention they deserve.

With the above in mind, I made a thread simply stating that "Gurus DO respond on the forums." And people who bash EA even came in that thread stating that it shouldn't be news that Gurus responded (as in, it should be the norm).

And I must say, @Jarsie, I agree with everything you said on this thread regarding the treatment of the gurus. I even agree with the way you delivered your opinion Seriously though, if I were a guru I wouldn't want to come on here often either. I know this will sound childish, but people are so mean to them. As someone else said, rudeness gets you nowhere, and it certainly doesn't make people receptive to whatever message you are trying to communicate.
SimGuruSarah

NotSoLucky wrote:
SimGuruSarah wrote:I will jump in and say that even if you don't see us posting it doesn't mean we aren't here reading your posts and listening to your feedback...I have a very low post count (as you can see) but I spend several hours each week reading the forums

But imagine trying to have a convo with someone and they just sit there all quiet and say nothing.

Thats how I and many members feel when we are making posts in Ideas and feedback, or ever post directly to guru's.

In I&F, I feel like if guru's dont post, they dont read our ideas for upcoming games. I dont expect everyone of them to post in every thread, but if you guys have the time to read, why not interact with us a little so we know that you are taking in our ideas and thoughts? If its not too much to ask....

This may sound a little silly, but often we don't post because we don't have anything we can contribute.

If someone has an idea and it's something EA is working on but it hasn't been announced we aren't allowed to talk about it.

If someone has a great idea, but we know it can't happen for technical (or otherwise) reasons we don't want to say that because the situation could change. So we don't want to say "X is never coming" because you never know, it might happen in the future.

If someone has a great idea and we like it and we say we like it, then people tend to jump the gun and assume we must be making it, because an EA employee agreed that it's a great idea.

I'm not a technical person and if I see someone is having trouble with their game I often don't have an answer for how they can fix it, so I don't post on the thread. The best I can do is pass their information and the thread along to QA or other groups to look into.

I personally find it difficult to interact in an official capacity with folks in the forums, and I've found interacting with fans on Twitter to be more comfortable. It's more 1:1 and a little less overwhelming.
NotSoLucky

MckenzieMember wrote:
NotSoLucky wrote:
SimGuruSarah wrote:I will jump in and say that even if you don't see us posting it doesn't mean we aren't here reading your posts and listening to your feedback...I have a very low post count (as you can see) but I spend several hours each week reading the forums

But imagine trying to have a convo with someone and they just sit there all quiet and say nothing.

Thats how I and many members feel when we are making posts in Ideas and feedback, or ever post directly to guru's.

In I&F, I feel like if guru's dont post, they dont read our ideas for upcoming games. I dont expect everyone of them to post in every thread, but if you guys have the time to read, why not interact with us a little so we know that you are taking in our ideas and thoughts? If its not too much to ask....

This ^^ We don't expect every one of them to post in every thread but a little "hi that's a good idea" or "Yes I agree with your opinion on that" wouldn't go amiss so at least we'd know that they are definitely around.

EDIT: Yes the "good idea" thing may be a bad quote to use as some simmers may think that their idea will then definitely be incorporated into a future EP.
However older/ wiser simmers I'm sure would take the Guru's agreement on their idea with a pinch of salt, as they would know that their idea may not be intergrated into future EPs. As for Gurus agreeing with people's opinions I don't mean opinions on ideas but rather on little things such as "Yes I agree the little details in the sims 3 are the reason why I too love the game as well"

Also when I say they should be more proactive in forum posts, I don't mean posts that concern people's ideas but rather posts that are in the EP or General discussion section. When people say that they would prefer to see the SimGurus participate in posts (like myself) I think they mean posts that are about an EP feature or a feature of the Sims 3 they like. That way the SimGurus can freely post their opinion on what they like about the game without binding themselves to the promise of including someone's idea in future games. Sometimes it's the little things that count; just the odd sentence by a sim guru every now and then in a post would let people know that they are on the forums and do care.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. Just some posts here and there so we know they are around.
Which now they have admitted, but it would be nice to be able to interact with them more. I know they say they post, but in all truth, I rarely see them post and I come on here alot.

Edit: Sorry i just saw simgurusaras post

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/11/12 07:43 PM

NotSoLucky

SimGuruSarah wrote:
NotSoLucky wrote:

This may sound a little silly, but often we don't post because we don't have anything we can contribute.

If someone has an idea and it's something EA is working on but it hasn't been announced we aren't allowed to talk about it.

If someone has a great idea, but we know it can't happen for technical (or otherwise) reasons we don't want to say that because the situation could change. So we don't want to say "X is never coming" because you never know, it might happen in the future.

If someone has a great idea and we like it and we say we like it, then people tend to jump the gun and assume we must be making it, because an EA employee agreed that it's a great idea.

I'm not a technical person and if I see someone is having trouble with their game I often don't have an answer for how they can fix it, so I don't post on the thread. The best I can do is pass their information and the thread along to QA or other groups to look into.

I personally find it difficult to interact in an official capacity with folks in the forums, and I've found interacting with fans on Twitter to be more comfortable. It's more 1:1 and a little less overwhelming.

Yes, that makes sense. I do understand and respect that. That being said, I do hope to see you guys more in some other threads like in general discussion and whatnot. (:
Lonnehart

SimGuruSarah wrote:This may sound a little silly, but often we don't post because we don't have anything we can contribute.

I guess having to interact with all the fans on the forum can be daunting at times. And all that red tape from EA tying you up... But I can understand why it's there. Don't want to give anything out or confirm anything before it's ready.

And where'd the idea that Simgurus are the game developers come from anyway? I didn't think there would be time to monitor the forums AND develop a game. Not unless you had ultrasuperior multitasking abilities (which I don't have... I have a hard time dealing with more than one thing at a time sometimes).
Nichaedemus

Hi,

There have been efforts to get more developers to participate on the forums - there is a bit of a process involved with that, actually. Nice to see those efforts are finally coming to fruition.

Need assistance with The Sims 3? Visit the Master Help Thread today!
NotSoLucky

Lonnehart wrote:
SimGuruSarah wrote:This may sound a little silly, but often we don't post because we don't have anything we can contribute.

I guess having to interact with all the fans on the forum can be daunting at times. And all that red tape from EA tying you up... But I can understand why it's there. Don't want to give anything out or confirm anything before it's ready.

And where'd the idea that Simgurus are the game developers come from anyway? I didn't think there would be time to monitor the forums AND develop a game. Not unless you had ultrasuperior multitasking abilities (which I don't have... I have a hard time dealing with more than one thing at a time sometimes).

EA has a few moderators on here. I'm not necessarily talking about the gurus to come on here to moderate anything, I just meant to post in general threads sometimes. On a rare occasion I see hydra or poptart post. But usually their holding contests or stuff like that.
DulceHoney

SimGuruSarah wrote:
NotSoLucky wrote:

Understandable.

Post Reply Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
Go to: