Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Just to set the record straight...  XML
Forum Index » Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
KarinL

thesimdeej33 wrote:Honestly, if you cant say you know one of her songs, all I can say you must be hiding under a rock. Every one and any one knows her music even if you dont sit their watching music videos every day. Constant radio and tv ads show you Katy perry and her music all the time.

A rock it is, then.
I have heard one song by KP - I looked it up especially on YouTube because of Showtime and the commotion around her. I don't know which one it was, but she was wearing something glittery and her hair was blue.

Other than that, there have been hundreds of singers and bands that I completely missed. It's just not something I'm interested in, so even if I do hear them they'll go in one ear out the other without me registering the song or who is singing it.

I only recognised Pixie Lott's 'Mama Do' in the supermarket the other day because I'd heard it in Simlish. I'd never heard of her before either.
crystal91390

The only reason I won't be buying on release date is because I'm not really excited for this particular stuff pack, I like 1 or 2 items but apart from that I don't really see anything that would justify the price. It really has nothing to do with Katy Perry or EA or what not, it's just one of those EA released packs that I don't HAVE to have on release day and I don't mind waiting months or until there's a really good deal before buying it.

heidi11576

so funny

it doesnt matter if you know who KP is or not..even if you purchased the KP branded packs she is not in your game unless you put her there by downloading her from the exchange

if you cant look at the contents of the stuff pack as just some new fun and colorful stuff then fine just dont buy it..as I have said many times outdoor living and fast lane were useless junk to me so I understand why you are disappointed goodness knows the Sims3 has been disappointing me regularly since its initial release

interesting to see the apple haters coming out of the woodwork now too so much anger on a forum that should be fun
katana_x

Writin_Reg wrote:I would seriously think twice about taking small kids to a beach nowadays.

I think this raises some interesting issues about "revealing" clothing. (I'm not really responding to your post, Writing_Reg, it just inspired me to make a point I've been thinking about while reading some of the posts about the clothes in this pack, so I figured I'd quote you).

In my opinion, a partially clothed or even entirely naked person is not inherently sexual unless they are behaving sexually. A naked person on a beach playing in the water can be less sexual than a silicone-filled model arching her back and licking her lips on a magazine cover, even if all her "private" parts are covered up. Our kids are constantly bombarded with sex and are simultaneously being shielded from it to an almost Puritanical degree. They see and hear all about the sensationalized parts of sex in the media, but god forbid they see a naked rear end or a female ******. <-- (the part that babies nurse from, since apparently we can't even say the proper word for an anatomical part on this forum, which pretty much makes my point, thank you very much).

At the same time, there are certain connotations inherent in a cupcake bra (complete with cherry!) or an adult Girl Scout uniform. Maybe they are not readily apparent to everyone, but I won't go into more detail since it could get a little creepy for a family-friendly forum. Sufficed to say, the problem that many people have with these items is not that the clothing is physically revealing, but that it "says" something in its design. I'd personally be less squicked out by a dominatrix outfit or actual stripper clothes than that Girl Scout outfit, even though it's more "wholesome" on the surface.

I'm really not saying there's anything wrong with this sort of content. I even use similar things in my game, to a certain extent. I just think that a lot of people are misunderstanding why some people don't like it. I also think it's interesting to think about and discuss.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/27/12 05:10 PM

kethrydrake

I do not know who Katy Perry is, and I do not care who she is and I would not buy a stuff pack based on any celebrity simply because I like that celebrity. I will buy music based solely on the singer because I know and like the singer, but sometimes I don't particularly like any of the songs, I don't usually hate them, I just don't like them. That being said, I have seen the stuff available in the pack and based solely on the content I would not buy it.
I find some of the clothing inappropriate for everyday day wear or inappropriate for adult females. There is nothing wrong with the idea of a girl scout uniform and would be perfect if it were offered for a little girl, but the one they show has a tight shirt, that shows off the midriff and a short cheerleader skirt. This outfit says "appealing to creepy male fantasies" to me. The cupcake bra may be cute and whimsical on stage, but in everyday wear is just says "Look at my huge tracks of land". There is no clothing available for children or toddlers, and only one outfit for men.
The objects don't have any additional playable content so far as I know meaning they have limited use for a more realistic world.

heidi11576

kethrydrake wrote: This outfit says "appealing to creepy male fantasies" to me.

LOL! and the lingerie in master suite were better? woohooing in the shower is better? or in the treehouse? or closet in sims2? or wherever?

I can totally accept that people dont like this pack for whatever reason and I dont care who likes it or not..I care only bout myself

.......but to use the creepy or revealing or too sexual/sexy argument is ridiculous.........

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/27/12 06:03 PM

katana_x

heidi11576 wrote:
kethrydrake wrote: This outfit says "appealing to creepy male fantasies" to me.

LOL! and the lingerie in master suite were better? woohooing in the shower is better? or in the treehouse? or closet in sims2? or wherever?

You are misunderstanding the objection. And yes, it is better, in a certain way. Why?

As I pointed out in my last post, there is a big difference between depicting adults in revealing clothing or woohooing, and depicting adults in sexualized children's clothing. The former relates to sex. No big deal, in my opinion, although more conservative people might object. The latter relates to comparing adult women to children and implying that children's clothing are appropriate in a sexualized context. You don't really have to be a hardcore feminist or child's safety advocate to understand why that would be offensive to some people, do you?

It bothers me that so many people are misunderstanding what it is that many people are actually objecting to: not that the clothes are revealing or sex is involved in the game, but something more subtle about the styles and the social implications of them. To each their own, and it's totally fine with me if most people don't object, since it is just a game...but please don't confuse "I don't want my Sims to dress up like sexy children" with "I hate sex in every way." It's absolutely not the same thing.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 04/28/12 04:53 AM

heidi11576

Hmmm I dont think many people view it as sexy children attire..how can it be..the oufits are not made for sim children...but thats your issue...I dont even wanna get into that kind of conversation

most people seem to have issue with the fact that they think its too girly.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/27/12 06:34 PM

slynnski

Location:On the Titanic, in a fancy dress, sipping tea in the 1st class lounge.

heidi11576 wrote:Hmmm I dont think many people view it as sexy children attire..how can it be..the oufits are not made for sim children...

*facepalm*

You're still missing katana's point...

Participate in my contest!
katana_x

slynnski wrote:
heidi11576 wrote:Hmmm I dont think many people view it as sexy children attire..how can it be..the oufits are not made for sim children...

*facepalm*

Missing it as far as it can be missed, apparently. I'm so glad somebody gets what I'm saying, though.

I will be as clear as I can possibly be (while taking Nyquil). 1) Kids clothes should not be sexy in the first place, regardless of who is wearing them. 2) Adults should not dress like children (especially not "sexy" children) unless they want to be seen as such. When these two things happen at once (which is what some people feel is happening with some of the outfits in this SP), it both infantalizes the women wearing them, and implies that on some level children are sexy. Neither one of those things are good, obviously. It plays into what kethrydrake was talking about when she mentioned "creepy fantasies."

heidi11576, you can say this is just "my issue" and imply that I'm some sort of pervert for making this connection, if you wish. But come on, even though it's on an adult, it is still a child's outfit. Girl Scout uniforms are for children and they are not sexy in the real world, except in the case of some particularly disturbing Halloween costumes I've seen. Maybe the objection would be more obvious if it were a sexualized baby's outfit instead of a sexualized child's outfit that adult Sim were wearing? That would be incredibly creepy, no? That's how some people feel about these clothes already.

Of course, most people will only draw this conclusion if they really analyze the situation. Not everyone is going to, and that's fine. It's a game, and there's no need to take it so seriously if that's not your thing. But every time someone says "but there are other sexy things in the Sims so this is the same thing" I bristle, because it is so, so not.

I really wasn't trying to start a debate, but since my point has been missed repeatedly, I figured I should repeat myself for the third (fourth? fifth?) time.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 04/28/12 04:52 AM

slynnski

Location:On the Titanic, in a fancy dress, sipping tea in the 1st class lounge.

katana_x wrote:
slynnski wrote:

*facepalm*

Missing it as far as it can be missed, apparently. I'm so glad somebody gets what I'm saying, though.

I will be as clear as I can possibly be (while taking Nyquil). 1) Kids clothes should not be sexy in the first place, regardless of who is wearing them. 2) Adults should not dress like children (especially not "sexy" children) unless they want to be seen as such. When these two things happen at once (which is what some people feel is happening with some of the outfits in this SP), it both infantalizes the women wearing them, and implies that on some level children are sexy. Neither one of those things are good, obviously. It plays into what kethrydrake was talking about when she mentioned "creepy fantasies."

Of course, this is only true if you analyze the situation. Not everyone is going to, and that's fine. It's a game, and there's no need to take it so seriously if that's not your thing. I personally don't care about it, and eventually I'll probably break down and get the pack because I want two or three items and the rest isn't so objectionable that I can't just ignore it. But every time someone says "but there are other sexy things in the Sims so this is the same thing" I bristle, because it is so, so not.

I really wasn't trying to start a debate, but since my point has been missed repeatedly, I figured I should repeat myself for the third (fourth? fifth?) time.

No I totally get and agree with what you're saying, although I'm not opposed to it either. But I can see how some people would be offended by it. It goes along the same lines as dressing as a sexy schoolgirl for Halloween, or sexy Red Riding Hood/Alice in Wonderland/etc. It's meant to be tongue-in-cheek (like this entire SP) but some people are more affronted by it than others.

I really like this SP and even have some good ideas for how I want to use it, but I'm on the fence about buying it because EA has disgusted me so much lately that I really don't want to spend money on their products anymore. It's really frustrating for an avid simmer like myself.
catloverplayer

Master Suites has far more sexy clothing then this sp does. The only sexy clothing I see in this sp is the cupcake bra and the dress with the pepperment candy stripes and bow.

The majaroty of clothing in master suites however is sexy to me atleast for females though they missed the mark for males. I saw only one sexy male outfit the robe with the undies.

The Last Venue Of Amour Coming August 7th From The Sims 3 Store.
katana_x

Liam'd.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/28/12 01:31 AM

katana_x

UGH! Liam'd.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/28/12 01:32 AM

katana_x

catloverplayer wrote:Master Suites has far more sexy clothing then this sp does. The only sexy clothing I see in this sp is the cupcake bra and the dress with the pepperment candy stripes and bow.

catloverplayer, read a few posts back. Some people might think these clothes are "too sexy" but we weren't talking about that, we were talking about the connotations of an adult wearing sexualized versions of children's clothing. Like I said a few times, it's not the same issue at all. I'd rather have a Sim prance around town in a thong and lucite heels than a "sexy Girl Scout" outfit, even though the former is more "sexy," because the former also doesn't sexualize children or infantalize adults. It sexualizes adults, sure, but that doesn't really bother me. Most adults are sexual beings already.

But I digress, because it seems that I'm not expressing myself very well. I keep repeating the same thing in different ways and only one person has understood what I'm trying to say.

I do like a couple of the outfits in this SP. The "Jessica Rabbit" dress looks great.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/28/12 04:54 AM

Forum Index » Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
Go to: