Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Floor plans!!  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
ashthebash91

Hi all, i know this is going to sound lazy, but i searched a few websites and spent half-1 hour searching, and i just cant find a floor plan that is, for want of a better term, "sims 3 compatible". So i was wondering if sum people cud send me a link or 2 to some good ACTUAL plans (not just the websites).
Ideally i would like a plan of a mansion, and an average sized house
Zeri

most of the floor plans i use are from a book, not a website so i really dunno. i never got one from a website before. how do you look at it and build at the same time??
Sim_Outlaw

http://www.eplans.com/

I use the pictures and floor plans to build mine.
ashthebash91

sim_outlaw has just done a perfect example of what i DIDNT want, i wanted a direct link, to exactly a floor plan..

Thank-you for replying though
ReesesPiecesNo1

I saw this one and it looked fairly easy to me..

http://www.eplans.com/cottage_house-plans/HWEPL13247.hwx
Lawertend

When I used to use floor plans for building *which I find a bit tacky, since you just follow everyone else, and you don't use you're own creativity* I went to this website:

http://www.houseplans.com/

Since I have no idea what your style of home is, I can't just link you directly. But, most of these floor plans can be translated into the TS3 grid, and can be built.
Crdsoccerdude94

i use www.architecturaldesigns.com

ashthebash91

ok then.. WHen you say translate to a grid!!
How do u do that? Do u look at ure lot, and try to make everything look relatively the same? or do u make it so u have 1 square in the sims represents sum measurements
keithie13

Renita

Sim_Outlaw

ashthebash91 wrote:sim_outlaw has just done a perfect example of what i DIDNT want, i wanted a direct link, to exactly a floor plan..

Thank-you for replying though

It has floor plans just like you asked? Do a search for the type of house you want to build and it gives the floor plans for the house what more do you want
Chessack

Lawertend wrote:When I used to use floor plans for building *which I find a bit tacky, since you just follow everyone else, and you don't use you're own creativity*

I'm not sure it's fair to call using existing floor plans from a site like eplans or houseplans "tacky." After all, unless you're a professional architect, you're probably not going to be "up" on either the latest, or the classical, floor plan styles, and you may not have much, if any, direct experience with the type of house you want to create. For example, my legacy family will eventually (by generation 10, and probably LONG before that) be wealthy enough to have a bona fide mansion, but I've never set foot in a real mansion, and without looking at floor plans generated by someone else (either lots here, or floor plans at a place like eplans), it would be quite difficult for me to figure out what kinds of rooms, what room dimensions, and what sorts of room placements one would expect to find in a mansion. Sure I could just make it up off the top of my head, but the odds are it wouldn't "fit together" very well.

Now, all that said, I would like to warn the OP with sites like eplans (which I do use), that you will have to be very careful about which plans to try to implement. I have spent hours working on trying to convert a floor plan that "looks easy" and turns out to be impossible to convert even semi-faithfully into Sims 3, because of how the placement of tiles in the game works. I also have a lot of trouble getting the roof in the game to look anything like the roof in the picture, in most cases. However, I am extremely picky about my conversions, which is really my own fault.

So whether you can successfully convert the plans you find into a Sims 3 house that you like will depend on whether the plan is easy or hard (or impossible, as some are) to convert, and on just how demanding you are about the look of the result. I finally get sooo frustrated trying to do one of the mansions that I gave up and went with my own floor plan, which I don't hate, but I don't love either -- there are clearly spots that are not anything like what would've been designed by a professional, and they bug me. My problem is that I can see when it's wrong, but I can never figure out what to do to make it look "right". Sadly, true in my own home as well (plus the added problem that apts don't allow you to put nail-holes in the walls, etc).

C

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/27/09 07:30 PM

Lawertend

ashthebash91 wrote:ok then.. WHen you say translate to a grid!!
How do u do that? Do u look at ure lot, and try to make everything look relatively the same? or do u make it so u have 1 square in the sims represents sum measurements

Usually when you look at a floor plan, they have kitchen and bathroom items. As we all know, one counter is one grid space, same with a stove or toilet. So, its good to start building from there. Then, you just look at the window sizes, and then soon before you know it, everything just fits into place.
Chessack

Lawertend wrote:
Usually when you look at a floor plan, they have kitchen and bathroom items. As we all know, one counter is one grid space, same with a stove or toilet. So, its good to start building from there. Then, you just look at the window sizes, and then soon before you know it, everything just fits into place.

I have found that in most cases, a 2' = 1 grid square scale seems to work reasonably well. Note that this does NOT mean it will convert to a perfectly "to scale" house... you may have doors that look smaller relative to walls than they do on the original spec. BUT... if you do this scale your Sims will usually have enough room to walk around furniture, etc.

This may not work for all plans but that's usually my starting point, and then I correct from there.

C
Sim_Outlaw

Let give you another tip on using floor plans or pictures of homes. Make sure you take a hard look at the roof because as I have found out many times that you may not be able to get the exact look.

Build the foundations and then lay out your walls and then take away your foundation as you go. It is much harder to try to get the foundation correct but easier if you have the walls already up.

The house I am building now had a circle style roof on two ends of the house and then a slanted roof on one part. I tried everything to get the slant correct but just was not going to happen.

So I lay out a large foundation first and then follow the floor plans then I take away any foundation that does not need to be there. If your adding an attached garage to a house on a foundation make sure you have this setup after you have your walls up and correct.

Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
Go to: