Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Trait problems!  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Possible Bugs
Sarahlbennet

So, when I am allowed to pick a trait for one of my sims sometimes the trait doesn't show up. So somtimes I have a sim with only 4 or 3 traits. I have no idea how to fix it.

Also, when I try to put books away it says that there's something blocking the bookcase, but the only problem is, nothing is. So they lay it down on the ground. This can be a problem when the maid stays there for days trying to put away one or two books.

Any help with these would be amazing.
Thanks!
Simberella

I have the same problems with all of the bookcases I put in the game. Nothing will be blocking the shelf but none of my sims can put the books back once they take them out. I have no idea what the problem is with that so I usually end up storing the books in their inventories or deleting them.

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying about the trait issue. However, if you're not opposed to using cheats, you can press ctrl+shift+c and then type "testingcheatsenabled true" then right click on any sim and choose "modify traits" that way you can add or remove any trait you want.

Mirta000P

I have the same problem with my traits. My sims never get their trait when tey grow up to childhood. My sims allways end up with 4 traits...
Vedora

Just asking to make sure, not meaning to sound condescending. When you select traits, are you making sure after you have clicked on them, to click the "up" arrow so they are listed along side existing traits? If not, that might be the root cause, otherwise, I'm left scratching my head like you on how the game ate your sim's traits. Perhaps try using the mid-life crisis reward (I've never used it though so I don't know if this will work) to maybe make the game give you the opportunity to add that missing trait(s). I'm assuming the mid-life trait swap window is the same as the regular add a trait window for this suggestion to work.

Hope that helps.

Pandachica86

Oh, I've had the trait problem for a while. Does this happen: the game lets you choose the trait, then filters it as the sim ages, and when you check under listed traits, its sometimes not there? That's what happens to me. I feel as if my game is judging whether my sim is worthy or not because it allows nearly all low end traits, but with amazing traits like genius, it's very picky. I don't know what it has against my toddlers, but I thought they were capable of being geniuses. I guess I was wrong...

Anyway, it sometimes helps if I save it before and then reload and pick a different trait and that one when they're older. You could try that, maybe?
Mirta000P

I'm playing a legacy. All the traits are random. They all are moved up before clicking "ok". And when toddler ages to child it doesn't matter the trait is good or bad it NEVER appers! It's just really annoying.
I had tried to reload before birthdays, I have tried to use the midlife crisis even trough it first appears when I'm choosing the trait (pressing the random button), it doesn't appear when I look at the sim, and if midlife crisis is used instead of trait there's an emty line who just can't be filled with a trait!
SimGuruLily

Hi Sarahlbennet,

We apologize that you are experiencing this issue. It would be a great help if you and anyone else experiencing this give us as much information as possible about your families.

If your family is a legacy, what generation did this start occuring on?
Has this ever occured for a non-legacy family? (ie. first generation out of CAS or pre-made Sims)
When this occurs, who are the child's parents? (Specifically, CAS, townie, service NPC?)
If you are Trying for Baby with the service NPC's, is it before or after you move them into the house, if you move them in at all?
If you are Trying for Baby with the service NPC's, which ones specifically?
If this occurs at Toddler > Child, what toddler skills has the Sim learned? (Talking, walking, potty)
Does this happen 100% of the time on all of your Sims, or is it only occasional and random?
If you switch families, does the next Sim to age up still have the problem?

Thanks so much, we'll keep looking into this. Keep posting any new information if you have it, we apreciate it!
Mirta000P

In my case:

If your family is a legacy, what generation did this start occuring on?

On the second (Sim born to my legacy starter), but then it happened to them when they reached teen years.

Has this ever occured for a non-legacy family? (ie. first generation out of CAS or pre-made Sims)

Never tried that.

When this occurs, who are the child's parents? (Specifically, CAS, townie, service NPC?)

My legacy hier and a townie

If you are Trying for Baby with the service NPC's, is it before or after you move them into the house, if you move them in at all?

Never tried for baby with a service NPC, only with townies. And I move them in first.

If you are Trying for Baby with the service NPC's, which ones specifically?

-

If this occurs at Toddler > Child, what toddler skills has the Sim learned? (Talking, walking, potty)

Usually all, but out of my six generations two weren't trained the right way and one of their traits still dissappeared.

Does this happen 100% of the time on all of your Sims, or is it only occasional and random?

99%

If you switch families, does the next Sim to age up still have the problem?

I'm playing a legacy so I've never tried that.

Oh and when I played today I played from my twin girls childhood till their teen days. I used the cheat "testingCheatsEnabled true" to give my still child sims thoose two traits (one for each) that was given to them while pressing the button "random" when they where growing up to children. It worked. I turned the cheat off. When they were growing up to teens for one of them the random trait that was given when she became a teenager stayed and for the other it have not.
I don't have any mods or otther downloaded items except for the free town I have downloaded from here after I installed the game...
Pandachica86

I have one guy, Alphonse, that I made in CAS that had a son with Rhoda Bagley (Riverview) that ended up with 4 traits along with the son's daughter (Alphonse's granddaughter). The ones he was born with were randomly assigned because Rhoda wouldn't marry my sim/move in until after she had the son. Story Progression was on.

I have one CAS woman, Chloe, who moved in with Billy Caspian (Riverview) and Billy's Roommate, Lee Chung, and Lee's daughter, Lucy. Lucy is an adult with 4 traits. Chloe and Billy had four sons. The first two adult sons have 4 traits only. The third adult son has all 5 traits. The teen son has 3 traits. Story Progression was on.

I have two sims I made in CAS that had in-game children (Sunset Valley). My teen, Audrey, has 3 traits. My child, Jacob has 2 traits, and the child twins Hannah and Brianna have 3 traits. My toddler, James, has 2 traits. They moved before James was born. Story Progression may have been on at the beginning of this game.

This next one is complicated, but recent. I have a CAS klepto sim, Sally Sadclown, who stole/took home Tragic Clown (Sunset Valley) and fell in love with him. He's still a ghost, and they aren't married, but they have a daughter Anya. I took care of Sally during her pregnancy by keeping her needs and moodlets up, and even taking her to the spa, but my game still punished her child. Anya was randomly assigned 2 traits: friendly and loner. She's socially needy, but doesn't like attention. I gave her a dollhouse. She's a child now and still has 2 traits. Story progression was off the entire game.

My very first sim, Melanie (created in CAS), married Malcom Landgraab (Sunset Valley) and moved into his parents' mansion. They have two adult daughters who have 4 traits. Story progression was on, and if it helps, I got the game the day it came out and had her marry him and have the children.

I have another CAS sim, Lily, who married Sherman Bagley in a separate game from Alphonse. They have a daughter who is an adult with 4 traits. Story progression may have been on at the beginning.

All of these sims traits are different, so there is no common link there. Also, I use the birthday cake to age them instead of waiting until their birthdays. All of my toddlers are potty trained, walk, and talk before I age them because I have real-life perfectionism. Some of the toddlers read many books, while others have never read one book. I think it mostly happens for me when aging from toddler to adult. It's completely random, as far as I can tell because I can go back into the save and give them a skill if I realize it quick enough. Sometimes I forget to check and get a nice surprise. I didn't switch families for any of these sims, only the occasional house. I hope this helps.
pulsey84

I have had this happen twice now.

It appears to occur if something else is going on when they age up.
One was a CAS toddler > child. I had a big party and there was much confusion getting my girl to the cake. So I had to select blow out candles multiple times. When it finally happened there was no options to select traits.

It just occurred again. With a non CAS child (daughter of Rainer). She was at a friends house when her birthday occurred. No option to assign traits/traits were given to her. Child > teenager.
Pandachica86

I was thinking about this and I wonder if it has something to do with hidden traits! Quite a few of my sims that did this had parents capable of this and a few even have a hidden trait. I just played one with salute the other night and that's when it dawned on me. I think the game recognizes the sim as already having a trait and disregards what we put. Oddly, I tried Simbrella's suggestion about using the "testingcheatsenabled true" cheat and clicked on one of my adult sims with 4 traits, then did the modify traits thing and added a new one. I did it on a child sim, too. It didn't work on either one, so I left them alone, but then it alerted me about how the adult would be better at an activity because of her traits, so I looked and she had all 5 traits! I'm going to try this on my other sims later to see if it fixes them. I normally don't use cheats, but if the game is going to cheat me out of the trait, I don't care how I fix it.
byronh29

This happens to me about 50% of the time as well during the transition from childhood to teenager. I have never married any service Sims by the way.
Mirta000P

When my sims age up it's usually not a party, so too many actions can't be the problem.
"TestingCheatsEnabled true" usually fixes the problem, but if it doesn't realoading the game and trying again does help.
Mkmason

I had the same problem with my sim. I gave her a trait when she became a teen, but it didn't stick. I just wanted to say that I tried ctrl + shift + c "testingcheatsenabled true" and right click on a sim to change traits, and it did not work. I had to shift + click for it to work. Then I was able to give her the trait she missed and she now has all five (since she has since grown into a young adult.
JolynnHale

I have a problem with traits. I have a legacy family on the 4th generation. When triplet girls turned into young adults i chose the traits for them each, and definitely clicked the up arrow, and none of them got their 5 traits. Then when a toddler (also 4th gen.) aged to a child i chose the trait, clicked the arrow, and it didn't register that the trait was there. I tried the cheat
testingcheatsenabled true
but it didn't work. It's really making me mad! Can someone help me!

Post Reply Forum Index » Possible Bugs
Go to: