Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Installing CC tutorial (bookmark this please)  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
GoddessNoire

Okay here is my tutorial AGAIN on how to install cc (custom content) since it got deleted somehow. Hopefully this will help calm down any confusion on where to install/download any cc. These instructions are for PC. MAC users refer to this site. http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/73573.page

First step
You're going to need to get a program that will allow you to open .zip or .rar files. You can use winzip or winrar or any other program you can find to open those type of files. Download and install winzip or winrar. For purposes of this tuorial I will be using winzip.

Since most sites have the same instructions we will be using peggyzone as our example. But they are the same for various sites like MTS or TSR

Second step: Go to a cc website and pick an item you would like to download. In this example we will be downloading the peggy zone hair.

Click download.
Third Step: A box will pop up that will ask you to run or save. Choose save. In the next window you can choose where you would like to save it. You can save it whereever you want as long as you remember where the file is. (I'll tell you why later) Choose a new folder and name it peggy sims downloads, open that folder and hit save and your file will begin to download.

Fourth Step: After your file downloads click open. Now if your dialogue box closed after the file downloaded (this is where it is important to remember where you saved the file) find the file where you saved it and double click on it. If you are using winzip once you open the zip file a box will appear asking you to use evaluation or buy/register it. Choose the evaluation version, you will still get the files extracted.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/31/09 02:40 PM

GoddessNoire

Fifth Step: A box will appear asking you where to extract the files. You will again want to extract the files somewhere you will remember them. You can extract them directly to he desktop or you can put them in your peggy folder. I will extract the files to my desktop so it's easier to find. Hit extract and then highlight desktop or peggy downloads then hit extract again.

Sixth Step: After the files are extracted take note of these extracted files. The two files you will need are the resource.cfg file and the file ending in .package. You will only need these files. The jpeg file is an image file that does not need to be moved. The readme file is an instruction file, however this tutorial will guide you step by step.

Seventh Step: The next few steps after this will need to be followed very careully because this is where folks can mess up. You will need to put these files in your The Sims 3 root folder. To find this folder you will need to go to my computer\c\program files\electronic arts\the sims 3. Do not use my documents\ea\the sims 3. That will not work.

Eighth Step: Open up the The Sims 3 folder. This is your root folder. Drag the resource.cfg file into this folder. You only need to put these resource file over one time. You will never need to do it again after your first download even if you download from another site.

Ninth Step: Next you will need to create a new folder in your sims 3 folder. Hit create new folder and name it mods. Open up the mods folder and create a new folder inside it and label it packages.

Tenth Step: Last step almost done. Drag the file ending in package into the packages folder. You're done.

Notes:

For certain files (particularly some peggy hair files) override an existing EA mohawk hair. Click the mohawk hair to find the cc hair. If you contine to have problems go through the steps again. Have any questions let me know. Also, hair, clothes, skin will all go in the packages folder. You dont' have to seperate them.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 07/31/09 02:44 PM

Sue_D_Nim

Good for you. This looks pretty succinct and thorough, and the pictures will no doubt be helpful.

In the final step, you might want to explain what "make sure cc is turned on" means. People who have this much trouble following installation instructions are probably going to have trouble with that, too. I didn't even know you could turn it on and off until today.

GoddessNoire

Actually now that I think about it Idon't think you can turn cc on or off. I'm thinking of TS2 where you had an option to turn cc on or off. So I deleted that part thanks

Sue_D_Nim

GoddessNoire wrote:Actually now that I think about it Idon't think you can turn cc on or off. I'm thinking of TS2 where you had an option to turn cc on or off. So I deleted that part thanks

There's a "play without cc" check box someplace ... probably in options.

Agent_66

Good job on this! THough I think you may want to advise people that you're using Vista. As someone who uses XP (though I will switch to 7), you'll want to avoid new simmers who are on XP who look at your pics and don't see their desktop as the same.

I will however say that it pretty much looks to be the same for XP, just less shiny.
GoddessNoire

Good idea, i'm on the windows 7, but all the window tend to have the same kind of background after awhile, I mean you always have a program filess, but I should specify that i'm windows 7, although i'm confident that htis will work for Windows xp, vista....

awesome_phoebe

Thank you. I've tried to do it and I've read other tutorials but yours was the easiest to understand. Thanks you.

xcanadian_simmerx

Thanks so much for all of your hard work. But, it still isn't working for me. I have no idea why, if it's just me, I'm going to kill myself. I'm giving out 20 benes to someone who can make this work for me. I sound like an idiot, but please help, I'm desperate!
Trinity2oo5

1) What is it you're trying to download? Do you have a link for the hair or whatever?

2) What system are you on? Mac or PC? (cause I'm useless with Macs)

mialynn007

I have a PC and it is a 64bit, whatever that means. I can't use any of the programs you were talking about. Any ideas on any other programs I can use?

xcanadian_simmerx

Yay! Someone helping me! Thanks person with the cool hair that I want to download too lol. Well first I'll start with peggysims since its probably easier.

http://www.peggyzone.com/Sims3Detail.html?id=000008

Ill give you the other one too.

http://www.rosesims2.net/

The rosesims2 does have sims 3 stuff lol and I want the hair on the top. Thanks so much for trying to help and remember 20 BENES PEOPLE! lol.
xcanadian_simmerx

Everyone, cross your fingers! I updated the new version and it said something about fixing the 1.3 update preventing players to download cc, which was what i had. CROSS YOUR FINGERS! If you cross your fingers for me Ill give u a bene for trying :].
Whales_Rock

^ Whats your problem?

xcanadian_simmerx

Are u saying whats ur problem in a mean way or a helpful way lol.

Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
Go to: