Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Sims 3 makes laptop overheat  XML
Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
nyodesi

My laptop normally runs a little hot - around 60°C - but whenever I play Sims 3 it shoots up to almost 80°C, and this is while the laptop is sitting on a cooling platform. I don't have this issue with any other games I play, including graphics-intensive full-screen ones like Call of Duty.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas why this is happening and what I can do about it?
Nichaedemus

Hi,

It is now known that the Sims 3 game throttles the graphics processor quite aggressively - meaning the game forces the video card to work much harder than it actually needs to for smooth gameplay. Users have reported that this has led to video cards that get overheated in a short amount of time. Prolonged heat stress can in fact damage your video device.

The best way to keep your video card running cool is to enable a feature called V-Sync. If your card is from NVidia, this can be done from the NVidia control panel. If your card is from ATI, you will want to get a third-party FPS limiter utility. There is no V-Sync option from within the game itself at this time.

If you are using an AMD processor, you may also want to get an AMD dual-core CPU optimizer from AMD's website.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/10/09 02:54 AM

Need assistance with The Sims 3? Visit the Master Help Thread today!
AddieB

I'm having the same problem. My computer has a NVidia and I'd like to try enabling the V-Sync but I have no idea where to find the control panel for it. My computer is running Vista. Have any advise Nichaedemus?
ForeverDestinyM

Steps to prevent overheating

1. Laptop fan (goes underneath computer)
2. Do not place on fabrics only hard surfaces
3. Check to make sure that there is no dust collected in air vents (may need a compressed air contaner to spray in ventways)
4. Lift the laptop and alow a current underneath the computer.
5. Follow Nichaedemus's fixes if these steps don't work.
Nichaedemus

There should be a tray icon for the NVidia control panel located in the Windows taskbar. Right-click it and select the option that opens up the display properties. You can also right-click on your desktop to bring up a contextual menu - one of the options should let you access the NVidia display properties. You can also find the NVidia display properties by going through the Windows Start menu and selecting Control Panel.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/10/09 03:29 AM

Need assistance with The Sims 3? Visit the Master Help Thread today!
AddieB

Thank you Nichaedemus. I finally got to the control panel by clicking on the desktop. The start menu was only getting me to the video car properties. I've got the V-sync on and hopefully my computer will stay cooler.
nyodesi

ForeverDestinyM wrote:Steps to prevent overheating

1. Laptop fan (goes underneath computer)
2. Do not place on fabrics only hard surfaces
3. Check to make sure that there is no dust collected in air vents (may need a compressed air contaner to spray in ventways)
4. Lift the laptop and alow a current underneath the computer.
5. Follow Nichaedemus's fixes if these steps don't work.

Done all of these. Going to go try V-sync. Thanks, guys.
BB_Gunn

Yep, same thing noticed here too. What I do is when it's really, really hot, I pause the game, Alt+Tab to desktop and wait 5 minutes until it cools down a little. That plus I try to keep the room temperature below 25°C when I play Sims 3.
DarkAmaranth1966

When my hubby plays on his Toshiba lappy (7 mos old) he uses a cooling pad with dual fans, a stand that raises it off the table and a small fan at the other side of the table blowing over and around a bouwl of ice aimed at his computer.

That got it off the 85-90 and into the 65-75 range durring play.

I know we shouldn't have to go through such antics to play but, untill EA corrects the problems in the graphics engine of the game, we have to either stop playing or use workarounds.

yabo

Trying the Vsync idea now... I'll let it run for about 15 minutes (enough to gain about 20c on my card) and see what happens.

For the record: Intake temp is 26.5c, ambient is 28.7, output from my radiator (mcp-220 with 2 x Ultra Kaze 2k running @ 1800rpm) is 31.9, and 30.0 output from the rear fan.

Idle, my cards (2 x gtx260) run @ about 40c. When folding (a very graphics intensive program) My cards run 55-60c generally... At the time of typing, the card used by the game is 69c, and the idle one is 47c (it's right next to the active card). Fans are set to 50%.

Generally, the game has been pushing 72-80c without vsync. FPS is hovering at 60.

=====

OK... After playing for about 15-20min, I'm seeing temps are about the same (GPU1- 71c, GPU2- 47c)

FPS was 60 (due to 60hz monitor) as a high, 7 as a low...

Intake temps are equal, output/ambient all went up a nominal 1c.

In all, vsync limiting FPS kept temps down to a point, but, vsync also brought out disturbing new lows (7fps while sleeping/running at speed level 3?)

This may be a solution for someone who is routinely having temperature issues, but, for me the performance losses (60fps used to be a minimum for my comp) were too much to bear. The occasional freeze is a risk I'm willing to run, as they do not cause me corrupted saves.

Temperature gains were also much much slower from idle temps, whereas without Vsync in place, the temps were almost instantly noticeable.

Throughout this test, the CPU never broke 40c, and did not go below 30c under water. Idle, CPU temps (generally) are within 5c of ambient.

After idling the comp for 5 minutes, GPU1= 57c, GPU2= 42c, and CPU is happy at 33c.

I hope this helps!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/12/09 01:11 AM

BeckyDahl

Hi,
I'm having the same problem, but I don't seem to have any of those graphic cards. I have an Intel HD Graphic (core i5)... Sorry, I'm not overly computer illiterate. It's one of the top HP laptops and it was bought in September.
Would it help if I turned down all the graphics levels in the Sims?
qaphsiel28

This post was opened 2years ago.

V-sync means Vertical-sync?

mine is now use the 3D application setting. But I can change it to force on. Should I?? Which one is better to reduce the heat?
Nauzhror

DarkAmaranth1966 wrote:When my hubby plays on his Toshiba lappy (7 mos old) he uses a cooling pad with dual fans, a stand that raises it off the table and a small fan at the other side of the table blowing over and around a bouwl of ice aimed at his computer.

That got it off the 85-90 and into the 65-75 range durring play.

I know we shouldn't have to go through such antics to play but, untill EA corrects the problems in the graphics engine of the game, we have to either stop playing or use workarounds.

I'm aware this is an old post, but replying to ensure no one else takes this advice and ruins their computer.

A fan blowing over and around a bowl of ice is going to blow moisture into the laptop and risk damaging it. Overheating can indeed be an issue for laptops (especially small laptops, 17" laptops have a larger chassis so tend to overheat less frequently than smaller laptops), but risking water damage is definitely not the answer.
linz2487

nyodesi wrote:My laptop normally runs a little hot - around 60°C - but whenever I play Sims 3 it shoots up to almost 80°C, and this is while the laptop is sitting on a cooling platform. I don't have this issue with any other games I play, including graphics-intensive full-screen ones like Call of Duty.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas why this is happening and what I can do about it?

Yes i do, its done it twice in one day, but hadn't for ages though.
Betthany21g

My laptop just recently started doing this would the amount of custom content have anything to do with it? I used to sit here and play sims all day and now all of a sudden maybe five minutes into game play my whole laptop shuts off and none of my stuff saves how can i stop this, its very frustrating

Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
Go to: